Wimpy saw Not turning over - 2.1 eager beaver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonFish

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've been using and maintaining a few saws all my life at the cottage, but have one that's been sitting for a few years at the house that causing me some headaches now. Last time is was used was at least 2 years ago, could have been 5 though, and was run dry before storing.

it's a 2.1ci eager beaver that seems to have a hard block in the exhaust, but I'm not quite sure if that's correct.

at first, after the basic checks I pulled the handle and it was jammed.... after some puttering I figured out that when the spark plug is removed it turns over just fine... if I do that upside-down I get lots of oil coming out (maybe 2ml per rev).
this seems really really weird to me...

I started taking off the muffler to check for blockages, but the bolts seems very well secured and I'm worried about breaking the bolts or stripping threads if I try much harder to remove it.

any idea's what to do next?

thanks in advance for all the help!

I have a similar eager beaver that I have in lots of pcs. On the one that I have apart there is only a manual oiler. On yours is there an auto oiler. If so is there a possibility that the oil pump is letting oil into the saw causing a hydro lock?

Also check for spark. The one that I have apart had the wire to the kill switch grounding on the cooling fins. The fuel line on this one is also shot. It is hard and broken. I have a pc of tygon that I am going to see if it works when I get the motivation to work on it again.
View attachment 227619

Those saws are cheap and there are thousands out there. Shoot some pbblaster on those bolts, let it sit, try it again. Oil coming out..weirdness.

If it sat that long,, most likely a whole carb kit and fuel line replacement at a minimum. but first, sort out oil in the cylinder, that's just weird. I got two of them running that were allegedly dead, not that terrible to work on. They cut perfectly fine, seems to me. Not screamers, but start, and cut small to medium wood OK.

If it's a parts saw, it is a parts saw, still good for that. Look for another runner.

I'd bet it's chain oil hydro locking it too. Just keep pulling it over while it's upside down to get the oil out. You could put a little gas in the plug hole and rinse it out too. let it dry out and try it again.

I have an old Silver Eagle that can do that when stored for extended periods.

I'm really impressed with the speed of these responses! kudos guys

it's only in about 4 parts now, so I'll drain the oilier reservoir, get the pulley back on and crank it until the oil stops ... then update.

Cheers!

it looks like is was indeed a hydrolock with the oilier ... after a seriously smokey start-up, it ran great!
well, for a while anyway ... just as I was finishing the job is seems like the slip clutch/chain drive was getting all funny as it was losing a lot of torque (chain stops while motor doesn't sound bogged down at all)... but I'll worry about that for the next job

I appreciate the help guys. :)

Latest posts

Back