winch setup ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodweasel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I will be building a wood truck and am gathering ideas on different winch setups. Sure, to get the truck out if stuck but also to drag logs to the truck. I have seen pictures of old trucks with a tall "A" frame mounted on the back that seemed to be taller than the cab and wonder if they were used for winching, hoisting or something else. Also I wonder if there is any advantage to the higher "A" mount up front for winching like these pictured, or if it was more of a brush guard or maybe a tow hitch on the shorter one? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated..... View attachment 207683View attachment 207684

Last edited:
I don't know where winch ends and hoist begins. Gotta think on those WWII era Power Wagons that was used similar to a tow truck boom to recover vehicles. If you got one, it's gotta make winching out wood easier because it'll help lift up and out.

Here's a bit bigger version:

442px-1946_Dodge_Power_Wagon.jpg

God I'd love a Power Wagon to play with :D

I like a winch that fits in a tow sleeve that way you can winch from either end or if set up right either side of the truck:rock: A small crane on the bed can be used with a small winch and a block as a mini yarder.

Last edited:
I like a winch that fits in a tow sleeve that way you can winch from either end or if set up right either side of the truck:rock: A small crane on the bed can be used with a small winch and a block as a mini yarder.

whats your receiver pin rated at in double shear?

Show us some pics of your setup...

Keep in mind using a winch to pull logs creates shock load on your hitch and pins. This can damage your hitch. I would sooner turn my truck around when needed then to use a hitch insert. I bent one and it wasn't all that difficult to do.. Plus get some kind of weight bag to toss over the winch line so if it does snap it will fall to the ground. Inspect your lines often.. PLEASE don't let anyone you care about near your winch lines as they can do serious damage fast..

Oh thanks!

Keep in mind using a winch to pull logs creates shock load on your hitch and pins. This can damage your hitch. I would sooner turn my truck around when needed then to use a hitch insert. I bent one and it wasn't all that difficult to do.. Plus get some kind of weight bag to toss over the winch line so if it does snap it will fall to the ground. Inspect your lines often.. PLEASE don't let anyone you care about near your winch lines as they can do serious damage fast..

Man, I appreciate that tip. I have never used a weighted bag on a taught high tension rope or cable but it does make sense. Never seen anyone use one either, so I really appreciate that tip. I love learning new practical stuff!

I've seen conflicting advise on the blanket / weight on the winch line.

Some say use one, others say that cables usually pull more straight back (likely to slip out from under a weight) and even if they went sideways the power is far more then a weight a person can carry easily would make a difference.

At best I'd file it under, "Well it can't hurt."

But I don't recall ever seeing folks who do it for a living using such things, including heavy wreckers that are pulling weights much heavier then single logs us firewooders with pickups will be dealing with. (And when I hear those cables singing I don't care if you use a firetruck for the weight in the middle...I don't want to be anywhere in the area!)

At best I'd file it under, "Well it can't hurt."

In my eyes its worth a try.. I have used winches on jeeps lots.. I use the weight bag there. I have used winches on drilling rigs lots.. never used one there. Now with that in mind.. The winch cable and what your lifting is much larger. would a weight bag help on a drilling rig winch line.. Possible.. I have seen close to a dozen jeep winch lines snap It was always where the line had a sharp kink in it... Never did i see one go perfectly strait.

If you do enough winching you learn blocks are a safety tool as well as reducing the need for a monster winch. I use tractor implement pins in all my stinger setups. Yes the blanket or jacket laid on a cable can help reduce whipping action. Stay clear of the bight of line. If the cable is under tension and fails it can cut a person in in half!

If you do enough winching you learn blocks are a safety tool as well as reducing the need for a monster winch. I use tractor implement pins in all my stinger setups. Yes the blanket or jacket laid on a cable can help reduce whipping action. Stay clear of the bight of line. If the cable is under tension and fails it can cut a person in in half!

try to pick another phrase that helps you feel self important and like you actually know what you're talking about:

The phrase in the bight (or on a bight) means a bight of line is itself being used to make a knot.

and if you are making a knot in a winch cable, you truly are an idiot.

Hank your a east coast flat lander and you know nothing of PNW logging terms,look it up it means a slack line!

I do a lot of winching with my jeep. mile marker 8000lb winch. snatch blocks are handy. the new synthetic lines are nice but kinda pricey. using an auto winch for yarding logs works but is deathly slow....

I have been to Ar. It is or was not on the east coast they could have moved it I guess.It is far from flat land. I was very happy to have a jake brake. Dude you need to take a hard look at your posts as in reread BEFORE you click submit reply. One of my girls read one of your posts the other day and said "Dad that is going to get some one hurt if they do that" I dont remember the post but she was correct.So step back read what you tipe and think should I do this.

Put up proof or shut ### up you lousy flat lander!

Asking him to prove anything is useless. Even if he would ever post pics of anything, we would probably all be a little dumber after looking at them.

Everyone knows the truth of HBRN, and nothing he will ever say can change that. He's a disgrace to this site IMO, and hopefully his present status (banned) will not be changed.

Arkansas on the east coast? East coast flat? Yea, at the beach maybe. :D

Put up proof or shut ### up you lousy flat lander!

You are truly brain damaged aren't you? You are the one that I required to show proof. You've asked me to show nothing, unless you want me to prove that Arkansas isn't on the east coast, or maybe that it's not flat?

you will break the frame before shearing a pin. a 5/8 pin in double shear is rated to from 30K to 5oK, depending on alloy used..

So you're saying the bulk of receiver pins out there actually use some type of chinese "alloy"? I've got/had several with indentations in them which will accelerate into failure.

your 30k low end rating is easily reached with a 15k winch and a single snatch block. My point is to be wary of them, not that a pin mounted winch is "bad", but that there are weak links involved. On 5/8 in double shear (esp unknown import metal) won't keep up w/4 1/2" in tension (esp USA grade 8) from a winch that's properly mounted.

and more to the point, I was trying to get the "expert" hbrn to show his set up. He talks and talks and links to vids and doesn't show anything, except his lack of real understanding.

Back