wind speed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geofore

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When is it too windy to be up in the trees? I was going to take down a few trees yesterday and today but called it off. Wind speed was 17-22 MPH with gusts to 42-55 MPH, I did not feel safe with the dead tops and higher than normal wind. It not just that I might have trouble the guy on the ground may get a surprise coming his way when the wind lifts a limb out the wrong way or without even making a cut it goes flying because it is deadwood. The trees are 60'-90' with bad trunks, ants and dead wood.

I don't mind trimming on breezy days, especially smaller-medium size trees. As the wind speed picks up, the size trees I will work in goes down. I've never had a problem with employers or customers whenever I suggested postponing a job because of wind speed. We can usually find smaller trees or groundwork to fill in the day.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't climb a 90' dead tree with 50+mph wind gusts! :eek:

I prefer 'light airs' when climbing(I actually dislike dead calm-it doesn't help with body cooling and if a breeze does start its direction is a surprise.) I'll reschedule depending upon the tree/situation if the wind is gusting over 25mph. Actually some jobs (tall skinny spars) at lower speeds and other jobs may seem okay up to 35mph. I once climbed a tall skinny pine in 65mph gusts in order to get a broken top out that was hanging over a house trailer.- I still shake my head at myself for not charging for the hazard. The forecast had winds increasing to 85mph and the old folks who lived there were afraid the top would go ahead and come down.:eek:

I don't know if I could measure the wind speeds at which I will chicken out of a job. I also think that it has to do with what is being done. If I have most of the brush out of the tree and I am just going back up to get the wood down, then I am not too concerned with wind speeds. However, like with these guys, if I have to blow out a top *even with a rope* I try to avoid high wind / height situations. Not worth trying to fight with the wind. It usually will win unless you have a trick or two up your sleeves.

Actually, my tolerance threshold for wind has more to do with personal safety than working the tree or making the limbs go where I need them to go. If the wind is strong enough to keep me off balance, kicking me around to where I might slip or make a mistake, I won't climb it. I try to listen to my gut when in this type of situation and have no problem saying that it's too windy for me. Anyone who is willing to argue with me on whether or not I should climb in a strong wind is welcome to go up and do it for me. I've yet to have anyone take me up on my offer.

Don't forget to pay attention to the forcast also. Last year I was doing a removal with a split in the trunk about 1/2 way up, and had all but the top to go when the wind hit from a forcasted front that I didn't know about. After a few minutes of holding on for dear life at the top of a huge lions tail with a split, the wind died down as the edge of the front passed. I finished takeing out the top, and came down for a while to calm down, and clean the mess out of my britches before going back up and finishing the job. I pay more attention to the forcast nowdays.

I, too will base the go/no go decision on individual circumstances and the proverbial gut feeling. I did a crane job last week during some high wind conditions. I estimate 35 MPH with frequent higher gusts. It is very disconcerting to watch the boom start to swing one way while a 2,000 lb piece simultaneously gets blown in the opposite direction. We came very close to calling off that job, but after a consultation with the crane operator, we agreed it was OK to proceed.

Sometimes the wind actually makes a job easier, especially palm trimming around screen enclosures. Although its just as likely to make the job harder, too.

I took down an old female gingko last year where the wind was strong enough that I was able to use it to carry the limbs closer to the truck when crashing them down.

Latest posts

Back