Winter Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Reaction score
What do you guys use for winter bar and chain oil? I always mixed kerosene in. Did not know if any one else did it differently.

What do you guys use for winter bar and chain oil? I always mixed kerosene in. Did not know if any one else did it differently.

Ive used Alco for the last few years and havent had any problems with it in the winter. I believe it is around the same cisosity as Stihl winter grade, but I dont have a problem with it slinging much iether. Pretty tacky stuff. Havent seen many other guys using it though, but at 5-6 bucks less than the Stihl with same quality... Ill take it.

Last edited:
I've been using Itasca because I can get a good deal on it. My advice is to buy the cheapest bar oil you can find. It all does the job it was intended to. If it's too thick you can thin it with a little kerosene. I never have much problem with it though. The heat from the saw usually keeps it flowing good for me.

I've been using Itasca because I can get a good deal on it. My advice is to buy the cheapest bar oil you can find. It all does the job it was intended to. If it's too thick you can thin it with a little kerosene. I never have much problem with it though. The heat from the saw usually keeps it flowing good for me.

Most people don't think about that when they are pouring it when it is sub 30... unless are below zero, i don't see an issue with it... I do not buy over priced fancy oil. it all works as it is supposed to.

I use the same regular weight year round. If it is really cold out, I set it close to the fire, we usually keep a small one burning to warm up by on breaks or cooks brats on. Never had an issue, even down in the low teens.

I keep my oil in the basement so it will start out warm, and in the cab so the sun can help it stay that way. But it may be a lot colder wherever you live. I just bought some TSC and will try it when I finish off my last gallon of overpriced Stihl oil.

i just bought 15 gallons from tsc becouse the sale ends tommorrow. its been 7 bucks a gallon for the last month

i just bought 15 gallons from tsc becouse the sale ends tommorrow. its been 7 bucks a gallon for the last month

I just buy the Husqvarna Bar oil. Where I live the TSC brand oil is like 8 or 9 bucks a gallon and the Husky oil is 10. Figured I mite as well go with the better brand for a dollar or two more...even though its probably all the same

I've had to squeeze the jug to get it to come out some days. Always does it's job after the saw warms it up though. It does help it to pour better if you can keep it warmed though. It's hard to believe how thick that stuff can get when it's cold.

I use the same regular weight year round. If it is really cold out, I set it close to the fire, we usually keep a small one burning to warm up by on breaks or cooks brats on. Never had an issue, even down in the low teens.

This is similar to what I do. Either stays in the truck or stove house.

I mistakenly bought a jug of winter weight a couple weeks ago.

Holy cow was I ticked when I poured it. I felt like I should have been frying fish instead of cutting. Afterwords because it was thin to begin with and then heated up, the saws just leaked when shut off. I wasn't happy.

I'll stick with regular weight.

Stihl for the summer, the stuff sticks to the chain like owl poop, it won't come off! Winter-time I use the Husky cold weather oil and let the saw warm up good. If it is really cold, a splash of the deoderized (Pearl), kerosene works well to thin it.

If I have to I mix in a little kero but past few years I get everything done before it snows. Rather enjoy the wood as heat than out having to cut it in the snow.:laugh:

Isn't Stihl orange a 30w, while Husky std premium a 20w?
Correct me if I'm mistaken. I've switched to Husky year round due to the cost.

I mistakenly bought a jug of winter weight a couple weeks ago.

Holy cow was I ticked when I poured it. I felt like I should have been frying fish instead of cutting. Afterwords because it was thin to begin with and then heated up, the saws just leaked when shut off. I wasn't happy.

I'll stick with regular weight.

Winter start there already?

winter is 10W
medium is 20W
summer is 30W

During the winter even the 10W gets cut with some deisel at times up here, and still freezes.
I'll never complain about a saw oiling too much.

That is the easiest keep it buy the stove then leave it in a spot in the truck cab in the sun out of the wind. Every one has had great ideas what ever works for you.:popcorn::popcorn:

Back