winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well how is everyone set for winter. I have most my wood i hope and I am working on 2010 - 2011 wood.

IM At 30 percent for my outdoor wood boiler..out of maybe 15 plus full size cords. We have a masonry heater inside the house and i have split maple, and the small maple syrup operation uses ..about 4 cords..thats all done.

im way ahead of any year prior, believe it or not.

I haul my own out of the woods, its slow going..surgery. Im grooming the maple forest at the same time.

i envy the folks cutting for 2010 thats for sure.

going to be way ahead of what i was last year. one more pickup load of oak to split and stack. then when its about ready to snow--stack it in the basement

We cut, split, and stacked 7 cord in April-May to go with the just under 1 cord we had left from last year. So we're at about 8 cord and burn between 4-5 a winter. I haven't cut in June, July and don't intend to in August unless I run into something really good. After the farmers harvest, and the temperatures drop, I'll work to pick up some more to get 2010-2011 wood done by Nov. Dec. of this year. At least that is the plan. The last couple of months I've just been working, walleye fishing, drinking and eating.

I am trying to get as much of the free wood as I can before winter hits and for the next winter too I am hoping.

I am set for this year and next as well, my biggest problem it I often sell off more of my own wood when I run out of the "for sale" wood.
I portion off what I need for myself, and sell the rest, and often when I run out of wood one of my regular customers calls at the end of the season and I hate to see them suffer so I end up selling more of my own stuff than I plan on.
I portion off 8 cords for myself for a year, and right now got 36 to sell.Probably aint going to be enough if its really going to be as hard winter as they are forecasting.Still cutting right now,but its really for the next year.

up to speed for this year, and maybe the start of next, depends how cold and long the winter is.

have a line on some wood, that looks like it would be 2010/2011 in the bag if it comes off.

I have 22-23 cords cut, split, and ready to burn. Good for the next 2-3 years. I'd enjoy cutting some to sell but it goes so cheap around here - around 1-120 per cord and I currently have nothing to deliver it in. I at least need to get myself a decent trailer.

I burn on average about 4 cords a year in an add on furnace in the basement.
I have 3 cords of oak ready to into the shed. Split and drying for 2 years....

attachment.php

Last fall we cleared a grove for a neighbor to make room for his irrigation system. We hauled all the good ash home and started working on that for 2010-2011 burning season......About seven full cords in the rounds before we started splitting......

attachment.php

This spring we had a small tornado roll through town. We got hooked up with a home owner that had about 3 acres of downed trees. Mostly basswood which the local mill purchased. The mill bought all the good logs. Everything else we cut to firewood length.
Here is 5 1/2 cords i have split and stacked already. Mostly oak, with a little ash mixed in. This will be ready to burn for 2011-2012 season............

attachment.php

P.S. This is the first time we have been this far ahead........Man it feels good :cheers:

I should be set for 2 years come winter.. Bummer is I just lost 1 cord of birch on the weekend.. BUddy of mine had 12 dropped off in his yard and offered to s few of us, I've been so busy getting the wood I paid for that I lost out on the free stuff.. Ohwell.. not like I'm out anything

Ready!

Well I have 12 cord split, stacked and ready to go - 6 for this winter and 6 for next. After two years at my new house I think I have my system just about figured out (minimal handling of wood, that sort of thing). I figure that 12 cord is the equivalent of roughly $5000 in propane costs for those two winters. Sweet!!!!

im good for maybe 4-5 years of non-stop burning atm and probaply more is to come next winter :cheers:

I cut and split more than I can fit under cover. I have room for 8 cords. Guess I will move it into and under the timber and make some makeshift "lean-toos". We avaerage 36" of rain from October to January. Once the faucet opens, it runs on turbo.

Newbie on this site....

I generally burn 3-4 cords per year, but if it includes cedar, that easily goes up to 5. I've got covered storage for about 23 cords, but right now I'm down to about 14 cords. I haven't cut much this year.

I have 5 acres, 4 of which are forest, and I had it thinned 3 years ago. They hauled out 56M board feet of lumber (cedar and doug fir), and left all the tops, and a lot more full trees on ground. Then I lost another 30 or so in a storm. So, I've been trying to clean all of that mess up.

The worst part is that since I'm trying to clean up the mess as well, I'm running a chipper in tandem. I can easily work all day and come out with half a cord, and odds are, that half cord is 75% cedar. But, I either leave the wood on the ground to rot, or I burn it.... I do have an Alaskan lumber mill that I use on some of the cedar.

-Steve

Last edited:
Well I have 12 cord split, stacked and ready to go - 6 for this winter and 6 for next. After two years at my new house I think I have my system just about figured out (minimal handling of wood, that sort of thing). I figure that 12 cord is the equivalent of roughly $5000 in propane costs for those two winters. Sweet!!!!

Not to pick on you,but they way I have it figured it that was good hardwood...a cord can make on the low end 250 gallons of propane heat.They blend propane so that's why I say low end.So 12 cords equals roughly 3000 gallons of propane.
My gallon locally goes for $2.50...so for me that say's 7500$ not 5 grand,but that all depends on what a gallon would cost a guy.It varies all over the country.
It also depends on how well your furnace makes btus and exchanges them.

I guess at the end of the day if your heating 24/7 on wood you gotta feel pretty good about not giving that cash away

Last edited:
Not to pick on you,but they way I have it figured it that was good hardwood...a cord can make on the low end 250 gallons of propane heat.They blend propane so that's why I say low end.So 12 cords equals roughly 3000 gallons of propane.
My gallon locally goes for $2.50...so for me that say's 7500$ not 5 grand,but that all depends on what a gallon would cost a guy.It varies all over the country.
It also depends on how well your furnace makes btus and exchanges them.

I guess at the end of the day if your heating 24/7 on wood you gotta feel pretty good about not giving that cash away

I was just going off of the very rough cost of about $2500/winter to heat our place. I feel that is conservative as it could be as high as about $3500/winter or maybe as low as $2000/winter maybe. You know all the factors that go into things, outside temps, wind, cost of propane, how long winter holds on, my wife wearing a sweater in the house (she hates doing that), you know all that stuff.

Here is the cool thing, I'll never know for sure BECAUSE I'LL NEVER PAY IT!!! Not a drop of propane goes to heat this house!:clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back