Wireless Chimney Thermometer Source?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFerg65

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
With several chimney/house fire threads going, I'm constantly rethinking what and how I go about keeping the family safe.

I remember not too long ago someone talking about how they had a wireless thermometer to measure their flue temps set up back in their bedrooms set to go off it it reached a certain flue temp.

I want one of those! I would appreciate any feedback in different brands/styles if there are any and how they are installed and what type of temp parameters you use as warnings.

This remote temp sensor sounds like one of the better safety devices a wood burner could have next to smoke detectors and co detectors.

I have been searching via google for a while now, and I'm not so sure they really make one for this specific use. I have seen others use outdoor boiler thermometers and ones for your grill.

I'll keep looking.

that gauge is fine if you have a wood boiler i dont want the water temperature
the flu gas temperature is what you need

I posted the same question a few months ago and got the same thing -- the magnetic thermometers are fine if you can see your flue, but not much good when the flue is connected to an insert and hidden by the insert surround. All the wireless thermometers I've seen have too low a temp range.

Jack

I've been looking for the past hour. Nothing to be found. The closet thing is a grilling/smoker thermo. Some go up to 500, but they only have about 3 feet of cord before it goes into the sender.

I'll let people know if I find anything that will work.

It was a No Go on my lead. The thermocouple transmitters don't handle that kind of temp.

What do you think the max temp should be on one of these? I'm talking of a range where if it gets that high, you want the alarm going off next to your bed?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thermocouples/=6180ch

You're probably looking at stuff like this. Probes can be had in temp ranges up to 2K F, but it would be pricey. Those magnetic thermometers look like the cheapest way to go for an indoor stove, they're just not ideal for my application, or, it seems, for yours. What I'm trying to do, not having the comfort of numbers, is to burn sensibly, to avoid overfiring, avoid smoldering, burn only seasoned wood. I've burned no green wood, and will judge the success of my efforts at chimney cleaning time.

Jack

theres some interesting threads on hearth forum and even a guy who will make them for you

I wouldn't bother with wireless. In fact I didn't. I picked up a PID controller and a 50' length of thermocouple wire and a 6" probe for about $65ish. I had a couple plugs laying around but those are about $3 each.

With the PID controller you can set high limits and use it to trigger relays or its own output for an alarm. It's also able to run off any voltage you provide, and will work with any of the thermocouples out there (K, J etc).

While I don't have any alarm hooked up, I'm looking at the output from my couch :clap:

At this point I'm not concerned about the temps when we are awake. It is when the family is asleep and we are at the other end of the house that has me concerned. If I had a wireless set up I could set the monitor with high/low alarm next to the bed. If my chimney temps reach the predetermined high alarm, I know I have a potential problem and need to tend to it ASAP. I'll keep looking. I'm going to make a few more calls when I can.

Northern Maine is having an early AlGore spring: soft ground, wet, pools in the skid trails with flowing water. No more woods work for a long time.

Now for the flame: if you're worried about chimney fires learn how to avoid creosote. It's been posted before...many times. You don't need high tech electronics to do some common sense (ain't so common ). Damn, when you see those roof ladders up to the chimney so that the flue can be cleaned many many times a season, you wonder :dizzy: Here goes again:

1. Burn one very hot (safe temps for the stove, boiler, furnace) each day.

2. Try to use smaller splits mixed in with larger ones.

3. Season your wood right. "Wet" wood is not "unseasoned".

4. Never throw the wood into the firebox then damp down the air right away.
"I've been burning wood for 50 years sonny, don't tell me how." Give the logs a chance to get up to producing heat (gases) and coals.

5. Get to know your burner well. Do yearly maintenance (gaskets, parts,
checking for cracks, etc ...)

6. Get a well insulated flue system so that the unburnt gases don't do the
creosote thing in a cold flue. Be sure you have the right size and height.

OK now you can flame away. Burning isn't rocket science, neither is Rocket Science :monkey:. But teach the old dog new trick time.:confused:

I am dismissed.

For me, now that I have a baro regulator, it's less about keeping temps down than it is knowing when it's time to reload/rake the coals without extra trips down the steps.

Latest posts

Back