wiring for Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.moore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up an 025 and 029 for $40 today both disassembled in boxes. Guy said both needed piston, rings and cylinder. Checked out the 029 and he's right piston was melted to cylinder. But the 025 was perfect, no scuffs, scratches or anything. Cleaned it all up assembled it and I have 150# of compression. Question I have is there is a male spade connector attached to the coil and a single black wire with a ring connector on it. I also have a small wiring harness, one end has green wire and black wire both with female spades the other end has a black wire with a female spade and the green has a ring on it. Where do the wires hook up? Once this is done all I need to do is put the carb on and try and start it.

OK, just started putting wires in different placed till it started then stopped with the switch. Here's some pics of my $20 saw, just need a chain. Got a 16" and 18" bar with it.

what is the manufacture date? It should say on the sticker on the handle. example: MD0405. That means May (5th month) of 2004(04). They label the year before the month.

Wow, what a deal! I had to pay $100 for one of my non-working 025's. It came with a chain though. Around here a Stihl in parts in a box would go for about $50-75.

It seems that you figured out that most of the wiring is grounding the coil to the motor and a kill switch for the lever.

Happy cutting...

Bowtie, it's 0206. So June 2002. Looking at the overall condition I would say it has been used very little there aren't even scuffs on the dog and cleanup took about 30 minutes. Whereas the 029 I also got for $20 is a different story, makes the 025 look absolutely new. I'll get pics of that one when it's done, hopefully 2 or 3 weeks.

What you gonna do with that 029? Also, congrats on the cheap find! I used to live in Conifer, just off 285, not too far from Bailey years ago. Pretty country!

Bowtie, I spent 2 years in Augusta, KS just outside of Wichita. Talk about culture shock. I cleaned up the 029 and it needs a clutch, piston, rings, cylinder & chain. Gonna hit the new Stihl dealer in Conifer next weekend for the parts. I'll use the 051 w/ the 25" bar for dropping and blocking then the 029 with the 20" bar for limbing and my wife will use the 025 with the 16" bar for limbing.

She was a city girl until we met. I grew up on a farm. She helped me pull the 6cyl out of my Scout and put in the 392, R&R the clutch in one of my other Scouts, rebuild the engine in her father's Vett, she now has her own guns, can chain up her J$$p when needed, while I cut she split 4 cords of wood this year and is begging for an ATV of her own so she doesn't have to take mine out alone. And she makes 3 times a year what I make as an Engineer and doesn't complain when I buy my toys, what more could I ask for? I'll post pics and a final $$ on the 029 when it's done.

Back