Wiseco piston update from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baileys should have been the one offering this to the end users. Not a $50 one two punch from some hobbyist :dizzy:.

Again, like I already told you, Baileys did exactly as you suggest. It was my idea of trying to come up with the saws to test those pistons for which I did not have a testbed. And admittedly, it was a bad idea. I screwed up. Honestly, I'm a little embarrassed. I had not considered it from the viewpoint that I was asking the saw owner to risk an already good saw.

Last edited:
50 labor is profit, so its not a "no profit proposal". I charge a certain price for my time above parts, but ya cant advertise no profit when you are paying yourself for labor.

Its just a bad idea Brad, Im not trying to slam you or discredit, its just a bad idea, and I dont see too many intelligent people sending a good running pro saw to gain a piston, and paying 50 bucks plus shipping x2.

Posted by Blsnelling:
"Go back and read my post just a couple back. This was not about profit. I already told you I realize now it was a bad idea. What more do you want?"

Charging 50 bucks labor makes it about profit. Again, Im not being negative, but Im not an idiot.

As much as we may hate to admit it, there is something more important that saws in this world. Lets be human, understanding, and courtious to each other. If you haven't learned to forgive in this world, then you haven't learned much. Don't kick a man when he is down, ITS NOT RIGHT!

Rock, on! :spam:

Charging 50 bucks labor makes it about profit. Again, Im not being negative, but Im not an idiot.

It was not the motivating factor. What motivated me was the opportunity to check out these new pistons, and post pics and results here on AS for everyone else to see. But admittedly, I wasn't going to replace someone's piston for free. Baileys can chose to give out a piston free for testing, but my time isn't free. But again, that wasn't the motivator for this idea or thread.

Brad apparently AS has caused you to loose your mind. That is about the most insane offer I've ever seen on AS. Brad how about you pay for the use of these saws since your the one that needs them for testing, your deal is azz backwards. I will give ya this, thats the best swindle out in the open I think I've ever seen,LOL

Why don't you say what you really think Tom? lol

I was going to comment on this, but I think you've got it all wrapped up. :cheers:

OK, OK, enough.

This thread is played out. Brad made a mistake in a fit of enthusiasm, he's apologized, now let's quit before someone crosses a line. He's certainly earned some good faith here.

I still think a pop-up 066 one would be sweet in the 288xp.

Hey Brad, the bottom line is that if you or Baileys wants me to beta test a new piston in MY saw, you all are going to pay me, not the other way around. You want me to test that piston, its $50 clam an hour and I will run that puppy for as many hours as you or baileys wants me to. You will also need to give me an upfront retainer incase the aforementioned piston damages MY saw. I will return the retainer (with interest) at the end of the test period assuming that the piston did not damage MY saw.

I will give you a bit of free advice; go take business courses at your local community college. If you want to continue to play business man online you really need to get both a financial and legal clue. Good luck!

This is too much!

Now Space and Thall are making like love birds? Where am I? The Twilight Zone?

CPR, you got it right. I just figure Brad was excited about Bailey's offering a new option in replacement pistons and wanted to generate some data, observations and feedback to share with all of us here on AS. Big Whoop, guys. Everybody go spend some time with your family for a while and leave this bickering behind.

Olyeller

OK, OK, enough.

This thread is played out. Brad made a mistake in a fit of enthusiasm, he's apologized, now let's quit before someone crosses a line. He's certainly earned some good faith here.

I still think a pop-up 066 one would be sweet in the 288xp.

Easier said than done. Some people just can't let go. Some members here have been harping on Brad, some deserved but some not, and won't give up now that their previous actions feel justified. The "I told you so" mentality.

Brad. you make a tremendous contribution to this forum, and I just rep'd you again. You've taught me a lot whether you realize it or not. Sometimes I go back and re-read your build threads several times.

I've already offered my 2 cents on the forged piston, so I won't say any more. :chatter:

Grown tired of it in 2 months and your 142 posts?

Sir I have been reading in the back ground for awhile here and just got bored this winter and thought I would join in.

Just seems like everyone is a troll if he don't like something is said and tries to flip ad spin it around to make himself look good. Go read it's in thread after thread after thread. :dizzy:

I have plenty of time to read you know. :cheers:

Here is the way i see it,

the piston from baileys is ~$120 + shipping

now, for ~$100 you get the new piston installed and ready to go, and still have your oem piston as back-up.

if i were tearing a saw down i probably would charge too because there is alot of time involved in doing this.

think of it this way, you save ~$30 and you don't have to install the piston yourself

If you look at it that way it is not a bad deal

Easier said than done. Some people just can't let go. Some members here have been harping on Brad, some deserved but some not, and won't give up now that their previous actions feel justified. The "I told you so" mentality.

I know.

I don't know anyone here personally, but I feel like you guys are my friends. This thread stopped being a disagreement and started being a fight. I hate seeing friends fight.

Tonight's homework: Hug your mom, kiss your wife, tickle your kids, wake up happy.

What bothers me is the negative attitudes, and down right nastiness of some members here. So it was a bad idea. Fine. I screwed up. But a few of you, and you know who you are, are more interested in taking someone down. And when he's down, you just want to keep kicking. I could suggest some of your motives, but I won't do that. It would just give you trolls more ammunition, like you need any help.

Others have stated their opinion, no less in favor, but have done so in a prefessional amiable way. Those are the men I want to emulate. Why don't you bullies take a few lessons? It would do you good. It would do AS good. Honestly, we don't need you here if that's the kind of attitudes you're going to have.

Have I not been here long enough and made enough contributions to the site for you guys to realize my intentions? Yeah, sometimes my enthusiasm clouds my judgement, and I've paid for it, just like I'm paying now. But the mistakes are honest. Some of you act like I've tried to devise some devious plan, intent on screwing over my fellow AS friends. $50 each for a handfull of saws? Yeah, that'll really make me rich:( Puuuuulease!

My only goal in this thread was to give some fit and finish reviews of said new pistons, and give the end user the opportunity to provide Baileys with appropriate feedback. If you choose not to believe that, then you simply prove my point. You're the kind that has no reguard for the truth and only celebrates when someone else makes a mistake.
Are you apologizing or applauding yourself, or just being negative about people with legitimate concerns? It's hard to tell.

CPR, you got it right. I just figure Brad was excited about Bailey's offering a new option in replacement pistons and wanted to generate some data, observations and feedback to share with all of us here on AS. Big Whoop, guys. Everybody go spend some time with your family for a while and leave this bickering behind.

Olyeller
Olyeller, YOU SAID IT!!! Rep your way when I am able.

Brad I have a 371 Id let you tinker with because I have a extra jug, but the money just is not being pulled in enough for me to send it off. Id love to help out with a experiment like this, because when Husky decides they are not going to make any more pistons(Like the Dolmar 166) we are going to need an alternative. If something picks up, you can rest assured the 371 would be headed North

In reality you need to test these pistons in a controlled environment at first with the ability to monitor cylinder/head temp. I would not test pistons in this manner as the test results will more than likely will be erroneous. If you really want people to test these pistons as you mentioned you need to sale the piston or donate it right out and compensate the operators for their time in putting the piston in. Testing is something you do not want to skimp out on and spending the money now to correctly test the pistons will save in the long run.

Interesting thread. I feel for ya Brad, you just want to help out, then a few folks have to pick the entire idea apart like a black bird picking corn out of cow poop.

In any case, a forged piston doesn't bring anything to the table in terms of a performance improvment/advantage. If anything, it may make a bit less power than the stock piston simply by adding some reciprocating weight to the assembly.

Even though the alloys used with modern forgings allow much tighter cylinder wall clearances, they still need more room than cast pistons. The piston "rock" in the bores a tad more, and ring life suffers accordingly.

It will be difficult to evaluate the testing, as they still may run flawlessly for many hundreds of hours of use. If the pistons aren't up to par, of course, we will find out much, much sooner......Cliff

In reality you need to test these pistons in a controlled environment at first with the ability to monitor cylinder/head temp. I would not test pistons in this manner as the test results will more than likely will be erroneous. If you really want people to test these pistons as you mentioned you need to sale the piston or donate it right out and compensate the operators for their time in putting the piston in. Testing is something you do not want to skimp out on and spending the money now to correctly test the pistons will save in the long run.

Awww some wisdom has arrived. For what it may be worth testing and playing are two entirely differant things. Looking at fit and finnish and doing alittle sawing is not testing. Real testing in where you take the product and you do everything you need to do to MAKE IT FAIL. You overheat the saw on purpose, you run it lean, you change the air fuel ratio and on and on and on untill the product fails. If it fails before it should it needs to be improved and go through testing again unitll its good enough to put on the market. Thats testing. The average end user can not test a piston period. He doesn't have the equipment, the labs nor the knowledge.

To you Brad. I know you may think I'm being mean and orenry to you about all this but I'm not. I'm being honest and you should be too. I see you have changed your mind on the whole idea and thats good. What the hell you was thinking was beyond me but sometimes even you oh great one need a wake up call. Thats what ole daddy is for. Now give Big Prick a beer,:cheers::cheers:

Awww some wisdom has arrived. For what it may be worth testing and playing are two entirely differant things. Looking at fit and finnish and doing alittle sawing is not testing. Real testing in where you take the product and you do everything you need to do to MAKE IT FAIL. You overheat the saw on purpose, you run it lean, you change the air fuel ratio and on and on and on untill the product fails. If it fails before it should it needs to be improved and go through testing again unitll its good enough to put on the market. Thats testing. The average end user can not test a piston period. He doesn't have the equipment, the labs nor the knowledge.

To you Brad. I know you may think I'm being mean and orenry to you about all this but I'm not. I'm being honest and you should be too. I see you have changed your mind on the whole idea and thats good. What the hell you was thinking was beyond me but sometimes even you oh great one need a wake up call. Thats what ole daddy is for. Now give Big Prick a beer,:cheers::cheers:

Hey Tom, would you sell a saw that has not been tested by anyone? Probably not, so i can't figure out why Bailey's has the Wiseco pistons for sale if they haven't been tested. Why don't they wait to put these on the market until the test results come in? This is reminiscent of the the bad cylinder kits they sent out. Rushing to market with products is not always the best strategy. Wiseco makes great pistons, that is a given but who knows if the forged pistons work out in the real world.

Back