Wish I had the money for this!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OcoeeG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First time posting. I have a newly acquired addiction to chainsaw milling. Borrowing a friends alaskan mill and bought an old 056 with a 32"bar off ebay for $250. I love it. Can't wait to get a better saw(066, 395, 088) but until I can save more money the 056 will have to work. I keep my eye on ebay alot and ran across this. Stihl 090 Chainsaw with 60" Bar and Milling Jig. IT is at $950ish right now. Wish I had the money. Here is a link. hope it works

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-090-Chain...QQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270301577077

There is nothing wrong with an 056 for milling. That thing will show its torque in the bigger stuff. Welcome to AS.:cheers:

+1.

If you are only milling small logs the 056 will be much kinder to you after a day of milling than the 090.

For sure... you really don't need an 090 for 12 inch stuff, overkill. Will mill faster, but that's a big saw to be pushing down a log umpteen times. Plenty of power in that 056.

So you think the 056 will be a good starter saw? I don't think I will be sawing anything too big to start, especially since I only have a 32 inch blade. I plan on getting a 42 as soon as I can find a good one. Should it handle 30+ inches of oak as long as I don't push it too hard?

I think that the 056 is an awesome starter saw. Do you know which 056 that you have? Im sure that it will pull through 30" stuff, maybe not very fast, but it'll get there.

I think it is one of the lesser models, the AV i think they call it. I have not received it yet. It is in transit as we speak. It goes 83 cc's I think. Yeah, I think it is going to be great to start with. I have already used a 50 cc(Husky 350) saw to cut up some soft cedar and I love. I am fully addicted and I can't wait to slab off some beautiful 24 inch oak slabs. I will fill you in how things go once I get it.

Can't help it
Hello to a hometown neighbor. I'm from Cleveland.
I use a 47cc 028 and it does ok. Lets see the 056 when you let it bark.

I'd just like to have the money it would cost to "feed" it! I could mill a week with my mill on what one of those would burn in gas and oil in a day!

Rob :)

First time posting. I have a newly acquired addiction to chainsaw milling. Borrowing a friends alaskan mill and bought an old 056 with a 32"bar off ebay for $250. I love it. Can't wait to get a better saw(066, 395, 088) but until I can save more money the 056 will have to work. I keep my eye on ebay alot and ran across this. Stihl 090 Chainsaw with 60" Bar and Milling Jig. IT is at $950ish right now. Wish I had the money. Here is a link. hope it works

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-090-Chain...QQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270301577077
I've been milling no worries with an 056AV (81cc). Well, it milled the 20" sycamore no worries, 28" oak was kinda slow. It's a good lightweight one to start on. I now use the 076 - fair bit heavier, but has the torque to compensate. I'm sure the 056 will do you proud though!
here it is -
Image003.jpg

The saw was almost new & it still went cheap at $1449.00.

Latest posts

Back