Woman killed by tree service accident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreeCo said:
I don't see where a wedge was cut. Also there are lots of cut limbs on the ground and one near the stump has it's butt end away from the stump. There is the possibility that the stump is not from the tree that did the damage. It may be the tree has been moved by the tow truck for the rescue.

The attachment is enlarged from the newspaper article.

Yup, that stump looks like it was just sawn straight through.

That should've NEVER happened. There is NO exccuse they can make for this;

1-Working in heavy rain = stupid
2-Having a company named yoder tree = stupid lol
3-Having no ropes in the tree = stupid (Even though it doesn't tell if they used a rope or not they didn't because if they had the tree would've fallen the dirrection they wanted it to go.
4-Not using a winch on a tree like that = stupid
5-Letting bystanders get to close = stupid
6-No wedge made = stupid
7-For all the other stuff they did wrong = stupid

ADD all this up and you get OUT OF BUSINESS!

Jazek, your comments really hit it on the head....I wanted to say more but deferred to those who have more smarts than me.

Let me again extol the virtues of a GRCS. Put a rope in the tree, make a proper cut, and simply winch/pull it over in the desired direction.

Sh*t happens but this whole mess appears totally preventable.

I believe this is the person's name, agree it sounds not far from yokel. Now his name is ruined. Perhaps a good reason NOT to name a company after your last name.

Good point if it was actually raining at the time of the indicident. Let's drop this SOB and go for a coffee results in tragic shortcuts.

That should be number 1 :(

Hard to tell from the picture what went wrong, but the hinge wood on the stump looks wrong, maybe it failed due to rot and the tree twisted off on an angle?

Either way every OSH type manual I've read says to have bystanders twice the height of the tree away when you are felling. If that had been done it would have been embarrasing / expensive, but not fatal :(

Ian

Ianab said:
Either way every OSH type manual I've read says to have bystanders twice the height of the tree away when you are felling.

Ian
True, but is that far enough? I hate bystanders period (other than my groundies who know the risks.) I've dropped dead trees that had limbs break off and land two or even three yards over when the tree hit the ground. Broke a window across a street once due to a flying limb. If I'm up a tree piecing it down, bystanders are fine. But if I have to do any felling, I try to keep them as far away a possible-broken windows can be replaced, innocent lives cannot.

Thanks for thge complements guys. I've been in the business since 1986 and like to make sure I know what I'm talking about before I speak.:) Oh btw I didn't put them in place of which is more important but as which one came to my mind.

i was thinking that the Right Face was open; and Left Face closed. With fibre pull on R; that let a R pull by fibre direct into the open face; as the Left Face was closed and pushing that direction too.

That is taking the 2 fibre pulls as hinge; Right Face looks more open-face taken; Left looks kerfed or something different. Discoloration should have called for more care than usual after cutting/ inspecting face. Hard to tell if Face was center plunged thru hinge or if discoloration broke that cleanly? More pix would surely be of help!

A tragedy none the less.

jazak said:

3-Having no ropes in the tree = stupid (Even though it doesn't tell if they used a rope or not they didn't because if they had the tree would've fallen the dirrection they wanted it to go.
6-No wedge made = stupid

How do you guys know it was raining? Couldn't the rain have started after the accident?
How do you know there wasn't a rope or winch used?
It is also entirely possible the spar and branches were pushed or dragged to facilitate rescue attempts.
To me, it looks like there was a small wedge made on the side of the stump not visible in the picture. If no notch is cut, the wood tears down the stump and stays attached to the stem.
As for letting bystanders be within two times the height of the tree, I don't tell homeowners and neighbors, within that distance, to vacate their homes while I cut down trees. Do you?

Originally Posted by jazak

6-No wedge made = stupid

I thought I was going nuts with all the comments made on this thread. I know everybody that commented and said how stupid these guys are has never made a mistake or messed anything up in their life but sh** happens a good wind in a big heavy topped tree at the wrong time can break a rope and it was storming after the accident if not during so wind is likely, a chainsaw can stall on a winch and anybody who has whole sailed any amount of trees can tell you that tree was notched look at the hinges they don't tear like that when you cut straight through the break off the front. Yoder is probably their last name and where do you get off stating thats stupid. And like Mike said I don't make the home owner leave their house do you guys porch is part of their house. I am not saying there isn't things that could have been done that could have prevented it but its not your place to say anybody is stupid. I think you need to think through what you say before you say it a little more and it might not look as stupid to someone that actually knows what they are doing.

Monk said:
I thought I was going nuts with all the comments made on this thread. I know everybody that commented and said how stupid these guys are has never made a mistake or messed anything up in their life but sh** happens a good wind in a big heavy topped tree at the wrong time can break a rope and it was storming after the accident if not during so wind is likely, a chainsaw can stall on a winch and anybody who has whole sailed any amount of trees can tell you that tree was notched look at the hinges they don't tear like that when you cut straight through the break off the front. Yoder is probably their last name and where do you get off stating thats stupid. And like Mike said I don't make the home owner leave their house do you guys porch is part of their house. I am not saying there isn't things that could have been done that could have prevented it but its not your place to say anybody is stupid. I think you need to think through what you say before you say it a little more and it might not look as stupid to someone that actually knows what they are doing.
great reply monk i say 2 me self w t f from the pic tree should have been pieced down this is poor work in any weather deepest sympathy to the children and family:dizzy:

If the job was done during bad weather then its quite possible that due to pressure to get the job done the poor decision was made to try and fell the whole tree when it was probably originally estimated and planned to be climbed and dismantled. Ive seen a number of climbers over the years try to get away with felling to avoid climbing in the rain. A little rain on and off is ok, but if its too heavy reschedule the job and find something small and easy to do instead or take the opportunity for some equip maintenance.

Trev

My thoughts are with the Family

trevmcrev said:
If the job was done during bad weather then its quite possible that due to pressure to get the job done the poor decision was made to try and fell the whole tree when it was probably originally estimated and planned to be climbed and dismantled. Ive seen a number of climbers over the years try to get away with felling to avoid climbing in the rain. A little rain on and off is ok, but if its too heavy reschedule the job and find something small and easy to do instead or take the opportunity for some equip maintenance.

Trev

I agree 100% when it's raining and or high winds,it's maintenance time,
I've been thinking about this accident and no one goes to work to purposly hurt anyone!...Thinking of the bloke who dropped the the tree aswell and how he must feel

Last edited:
Back