Wood Ashes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've put mine on the garden, in the field, or in a compost pile for years, but I have no idea why. What do the ashes do for the garden? I've always done it because that's what others did, but for the past few years I've been wondering why.... Can anyone tell me?

I've put mine on the garden, in the field, or in a compost pile for years, but I have no idea why. What do the ashes do for the garden? I've always done it because that's what others did, but for the past few years I've been wondering why.... Can anyone tell me?

Wood ash is made up primarily of calcium carbonate with traces of iron, manganese, zinc, copper, and some phosphate. Wood ash is alkaline, so it acts as a liming agent raising the pH of the soil. Since most of the stuff we dump in our compost piles results in an acidic product the ash can act to offset the acidity.

Of course if your soil is already alkaline, or if you are growing plants that like acidic soil, you probably wouldn't need/want to add the ashes.

Can somebody please tell me how to post my own thread? I am new here and I have a question I would like to hear some discussion about.

Wood ash is made up primarily of calcium carbonate with traces of iron, manganese, zinc, copper, and some phosphate. Wood ash is alkaline, so it acts as a liming agent raising the pH of the soil. Since most of the stuff we dump in our compost piles results in an acidic product the ash can act to offset the acidity.

Of course if your soil is already alkaline, or if you are growing plants that like acidic soil, you probably wouldn't need/want to add the ashes.

Fantastic! Thanks! Since most of my leaves (oak and maple) get mulched and piled on the garden along with some grass clippings, the ashes are probably helping me quite a bit. One year I put them in the compost pile out back, and my tomatoes had a lot of problems with a fungus. I later learned that it's probably because the soil was low in calcium. NOW I know why. I will certainly be putting the ashes on the section of the garden where my tomatoes will be going next year.

Thanks again!
Mark

Right. It's generally fine to add a few buckets to the garden, but you don't want to add too much. I take mine to the dump nearby.

Can somebody please tell me how to post my own thread? I am new here and I have a question I would like to hear some discussion about.

Go to one of the Forum pages, such as the Firewood Forum or Off Topic Forum, and in the upper left corner you see a "post new thread" button.

ask turnkey4099,hes the resident agronomist

Back