Wood burning tool invention

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm new to this site and this is my first post.

I would like to get some feedback on my patent pending invention which just came out of manufacturing this week. It was invented out of frustration because I couldn't find something like it to buy. I hope some fellow wood burners will be able to tell me what they think about it. Any feedback is appreciated, positive or negative. Here are the details:

I call it the Cinder Saver.

This is an innovation to your standard fireplace or wood burning stove tools. The Cinder Saver allows you to make your fireplace or wood burning stove more efficient by reclaiming your large cinders at cleanout for continued use. The tool set consists of an ash collector and sorter which nests inside each other. Together the tool acts as a side to side scoop which cleans wood burning stoves and fireplaces better than the standard front scoop shovel.

The tool set can be used together or seperately to sort the large coals from the ashes. Together the tool set should be used to scrape all material to one side of the stove or fireplace. Scoop the pile with the tool set and shake the ashes into the collector. The sorter will retain the large coals for reuse. Separate the tool set and empty the large coals from the sorter to be reused on the clean side of the stove or fireplace. The ashes in the collector can be discarded into your ash bucket. The tool can be used seperately by sorting first and scooping the ashes after separated. This tool can be used during a hot cleanout. No need to let the stove or fireplace cool. For hot cleanouts it is recommended to use a metal ash bucket for safe disposal.

This two-piece tool is constructed of mild steel and is coated with high heat enamel to protect from rust. It is made in the U.S.A. The combined tool set weighs 4lbs. 4oz. Continued use will require light oil to season the tool and provide more protection from rust. Please see pictures for more details.View attachment 241774View attachment 241775View attachment 241776View attachment 241777

Interesting idea, but my wife wouldnt allow that thing within 500 yards of the place. She complains enough about ashes in the house, and the very idea of shaking that thing and disturbing the ashes even more than the shovel does would send her into orbit.

With 60 cords of wood out back, I just dont worry about wasting a few coals anyway. But best of luck to you in selling that thing!

Shaking while still inside the stove with the top damper open and coals still hot makes all the dust go right up the flue. I don't get any more mess than a regular shovel while discarding the ashes once separated. I would hope no one would scoop from the stove and shake outside the stove. I'll have to make sure I clarify that when writing instructions.

I also have plenty of wood and it wouldn't bother me to waste a few coals, but the pile of ash and coals adds up over a long hard winter and I'd much rather see everything burnt as complete as possible. I hope others like to burn more completely also.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Shaking while still inside the stove with the top damper open and coals still hot makes all the dust go right up the flue. I don't get any more mess than a regular shovel while discarding the ashes once separated. I would hope no one would scoop from the stove and shake outside the stove. I'll have to make sure I clarify that when writing instructions.

I also have plenty of wood and it wouldn't bother me to waste a few coals, but the pile of ash and coals adds up over a long hard winter and I'd much rather see everything burnt as complete as possible. I hope others like to burn more completely also.

Thanks for all your input so far.

top damper open and coals still hot makes MOST of the ash go up the pipe, but not all. I am sure everyone has varying degrees of success, but all three of our stoves, one in the house and two in the shop, still have some that escape out the front loading door. My wife would shoot me on the spot if I tried shaking anything while cleaning out the stove. But hey, if it works for you, Im glad for you. I just know it wouldnt be the effort to save a few coals for me.

HMmmmmmmm...... Feed Back??
Seems like an answer to a non-problem to me.
My firebox has little gate in the bottom for clean-out... like maybe 3"x3".
I push the coals to the back with a small homemade rake-like tool and pull the ash to the gate with a small homemade hoe-like tool... no shoveling, shaking, sorting, or whatever.
Ashes fall into a drawer and no dust escapes into the space around.
Besides, after 10 days or so of use I only end up with maybe enough coals to fill a measuring cup... and near all of them are small enough to fall through your "sorter" anyway.

Ain't no way I'm gonna' make a "project" out'a cleaning ashes from the firebox... If'n it takes 5 minutes it took too long.
I've got far better things to do... like scratchin' my nutz.

I think it's a great idea that will sell good to the right market. Get the correct marketing strategy and get it in the right stores and you may well be on your way to something big.

Come to think of it I see guys with wood burners in their shops wanting it to sift out nails and other metal objects that end up in their shop stoves.
A lot of these guys use cut up pallets that are full of nails and other cut pieces that have various types of metal debris in them and then want to toss nail free ashes on their gardens.

I get a lot of coal from "over feeding" my OWB while I'm at work. The "boy" who feeds the monster while I'm at work is simple minded and it's best he just feeds the beast and then i spend the next day, or two, just raking and burning the coals/embers down.

I hate to see coals/embers in the ash pile as they reflect the loss of hard earned btu's. While i was burning in a fireplace insert I usually avoided shoveling out coals 'cause I got good at complete burns.

Good luck with your invention, I can see where some folks might get some good use from it.

Hey All,

I'm new to this site and this is my first post.

I would like to get some feedback on my patent pending invention which just came out of manufacturing this week. It was invented out of frustration because I couldn't find something like it to buy. I hope some fellow wood burners will be able to tell me what they think about it. Any feedback is appreciated, positive or negative. Here are the details:

I call it the Cinder Saver.

This is an innovation to your standard fireplace or wood burning stove tools. The Cinder Saver allows you to make your fireplace or wood burning stove more efficient by reclaiming your large cinders at cleanout for continued use. The tool set consists of an ash collector and sorter which nests inside each other. Together the tool acts as a side to side scoop which cleans wood burning stoves and fireplaces better than the standard front scoop shovel.

The tool set can be used together or seperately to sort the large coals from the ashes. Together the tool set should be used to scrape all material to one side of the stove or fireplace. Scoop the pile with the tool set and shake the ashes into the collector. The sorter will retain the large coals for reuse. Separate the tool set and empty the large coals from the sorter to be reused on the clean side of the stove or fireplace. The ashes in the collector can be discarded into your ash bucket. The tool can be used seperately by sorting first and scooping the ashes after separated. This tool can be used during a hot cleanout. No need to let the stove or fireplace cool. For hot cleanouts it is recommended to use a metal ash bucket for safe disposal.

This two-piece tool is constructed of mild steel and is coated with high heat enamel to protect from rust. It is made in the U.S.A. The combined tool set weighs 4lbs. 4oz. Continued use will require light oil to season the tool and provide more protection from rust. Please see pictures for more details.View attachment 241774View attachment 241775View attachment 241776View attachment 241777

Are you advertising this for sale?

I'm not him, but I see no link to go buy anything. He is just asking for feedback on the idea and has some pictures of it.

Now IF he had a link to sell it, sure, unacceptable violation of the TOS here.

Just my opinion is all.

I have plenty of wood so I would never use it. I can’t see any market for it.
Steering up ashes only makes a mess. Nice idea, but not practical.

No, that would be a direct violation of the TOS unless I was a sponsor.

I had a run of 20 made and I'm giving them to my buddies that have stoves to use and give feedback. I hope to sell them, but not here, and not for a while. I'm tying to do some market research and I figured a group like this would shoot it straight to me.

So far, everyone has and I appreciate it.

No, that would be a direct violation of the TOS unless I was a sponsor.

I had a run of 20 made and I'm giving them to my buddies that have stoves to use and give feedback. I hope to sell them, but not here, and not for a while. I'm tying to do some market research and I figured a group like this would shoot it straight to me.

So far, everyone has and I appreciate it.

Demonstrate your tool on you tube.

There are a lot of short sighted responses... Ain't worth nothing cuz I got an ash pan...

Well I don't have an ash pan and think it is a solution to a problem. I use a wood burning insert and after a solid week of cold weather burning I need to get rid of some ash. So the tool presents a problem solver for me.

That being said, I also have a smaller firebox and the shovel looks perhaps too big. You may need a smaller version but I am just guessing from the pics. There are coal savers on the market that could do the job, so the real patentable idea would be the side to side shovel.

If I let the fire die down to no coals on those real cold days, I'll end up with a cold house and a b*tchy wife, neither is much fun.

What is your price target? Wood burners are cheap SOBs!

There are a lot of short sighted responses... Ain't worth nothing cuz I got an ash pan...

Well I don't have an ash pan and think it is a solution to a problem. I use a wood burning insert and after a solid week of cold weather burning I need to get rid of some ash. So the tool presents a problem solver for me.

That being said, I also have a smaller firebox and the shovel looks perhaps too big. You may need a smaller version but I am just guessing from the pics. There are coal savers on the market that could do the job, so the real patentable idea would be the side to side shovel.

If I let the fire die down to no coals on those real cold days, I'll end up with a cold house and a b*tchy wife, neither is much fun.

What is your price target? Wood burners are cheap SOBs!

+1 I agree. The high efficient stoves tend to leave a large pile of coals in the morning when using oak or hickory. Many a morning I woke up to a stove full of coals and not much room to put in more wood. Sure if I got up 3 hrs earlier and opened the air full they would burn right up. I don't like the morning so I'm not doing that.

Demonstrate your tool on you tube.

My demonstration video was uploaded to YouTube. It says the video will be live at: CS Demo.MOV - YouTube

Since the wood burner was cold, the stack was not drafting which normally takes up the ashes while separating them out. There was still no more of a mess made by the Cinder Saver versus a standard shovel clean out. When the ashes are transferred from the tool to the ash bucket is the only time I'm able to see ashes causing a mess.

The tool measures 6"Wx8"Lx3"D and shouldn't have a problem fitting into smaller stoves.

Let me know what you think or if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back