wood chip boiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you ever senn someting like this

We burn our own wood waste, most of it is under 15 percent moisture content. We have run into problems when running large amounts of green material. This is now set off to the side and not used for boiler fuel

I have seen a chip drying systems that used a vent pipe coming out of the center of a large pile of chips. The theory was that as the chips sit in a pile bacteria go to work digesting the sugars in the wood, and this generates heat. This heat drives the moisture out of the wood and is vented out the pipe. In theory this makes sense, but I have no idea if it actually worked.

View attachment 299054View attachment 299055

Green chips

Okay guys sorry I never saw this thread. The guy that started this thread said he saw the unit at a show and named the company,I am the guy that showed the boiler,It was burning chips that were less than a month old, fresh chipped is best, We just ran our second test at the EPA's lab and the boiler actually did better on emmisions and btu burning chips at 42% moisture than when I ran it in august of last year with a mandate from epa that the chips had to be below 24% moisture. Massachusetts just went around the feds 2 weeks ago and approved it for sale in Mass. I guess they were tired of waiting, so am I, heading out with my show trailer, opt 250 and enviro 500 on board, both will be running and will be in Mass for the entire week doing site visits. if anyone is interested in a personal showing in the area they may PM me their contact info and I will get back to them.

First time I have ever heard of moist wood giving better emission's compared to dry wood.

First time I have ever heard of moist wood giving better emission's compared to dry wood.

Lower NOx emissions most likely. Dry wood raises combustion temperatures and increases NOx formation.

I've installed several "chip" boilers over the year for 40 MW power plants, down to school sized units. The economics of wood chips only really works when you can get the chips for a very low cost and have a pretty substantial heating load.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back