Wood Cookstove mmmmmmm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryNick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yup, I'm back, at least for a little while. (shush, I know you hoped I wouldn't come back) Hope everyone has been doing well!

I had my first real fire of the season this morning. Dropped down to 42 last night down here in the hills. Funny thing is I just got finished getting the cookstove and chimney up to par for winter. I fired it up and threw on a couple of cast iron skillets. Ain't nothin better than some scrambled eggs and sausage cooked up on a 1930's Cookstove mmmmmmmmm

That's quite a slice of Heaven ya got there Nick!

My old lady thinks I'm nuts every time she comes home from work and I have a fire goin in the driveway cooking some steaks.

Hey Dodge, love your sig!

And yes, my wife looks at me funny sometimes too.

Then I simply remind her that I have testicles and she quietly goes about her buisiness.

RaisedByWolves said:
Hey Dodge, love your sig!

And yes, my wife looks at me funny sometimes too.

Then I simply remind her that I have testicles and she quietly goes about her buisiness.

That's great! How did you teach her the quiet part? :hmm3grin2orange:

I can't take credit for the signiture, it was something I heard long ago but it is a wonderful idea.

HickoryNick said:
Yup, I'm back, at least for a little while. (shush, I know you hoped I wouldn't come back) Hope everyone has been doing well!

I had my first real fire of the season this morning. Dropped down to 42 last night down here in the hills. Funny thing is I just got finished getting the cookstove and chimney up to par for winter. I fired it up and threw on a couple of cast iron skillets. Ain't nothin better than some scrambled eggs and sausage cooked up on a 1930's Cookstove mmmmmmmmm

My wife used a wood cookstove for 15 years when she lived out in the woods in South Carolina. She swears by them...says baked goods taste better and cook more evenly once you get the hang of judging the heat. You can still buy wood cookstoves new in Amish country. Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, Ohio.

Leebo said:
My wife used a wood cookstove for 15 years when she lived out in the woods in South Carolina. She swears by them...says baked goods taste better and cook more evenly once you get the hang of judging the heat. You can still buy wood cookstoves new in Amish country. Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, Ohio.

Your wife is absolutely right. Everything just seems to taste better when cooked on a cookstove. And the ovens are often pretty well even heated from having the heat of the fire go over top, down the side, underneath and then up the back. The heat of the fire totally encapsulates it. There is only one hot-spot on mine and that is the side the firebox is on.

The cookstove I have was made by Brown Stove Works of Cleveland, TN circa 1920s-30s. It was my great grandparents and I inherited it with the house. When they purchased it, most of our county was still without electric power. Brown Stove Works is still in business, but they only make gas stoves and cooktops now. They had all their old cookstove parts sent off and re-forged (daggumit).

Knox Stove Works of Knoxville, TN manufacturers cook stoves with stainless steel tops. They are hand made and customer built for the most part. They also distribute Todd Stoves that are Chinese made.

Lehman's carries a nice variety and the Enterprise Monarch is super nice. Enterprise Fawcett makes a few more stoves that Lehman's doesn't sell and are a little less extravagant.

At any rate they are nice to have. If we have a winter storm and the power goes out, I don't have to worry about firing up the grill or getting out the camp stove and attempting to cook in the freezing cold . I just fire up the ole cookstove, and cook me up something good while keeping the house warm at the same time. :D

HickoryNick

hickory nick--i have lehmans cat--and let me tell ya--those stoves are big bucks--now if a person could find one for not so much dinero----!!!! i am the second owner of a near perfect--monarch cookstove--the grates are near perfect--the old lady that owned it--knew how to take care of it--tooooo many ive seen have the grates burnt out--dang--and they were nice stoves--but what ya gonna do--cast up new ones--ya right--

i'll try to dig up the photo if i can find it.....a farme rdown the road where i grew up welded his own wood stove from 1/2" thick steel plate. The neat part was'nt the heat retention from the 2" thick (4 x 1/2" steel slabs welded together) steel top and back, it was the multiple 2" steel pipes that ran thru the big firebox, and which were filled with water and connected to the household iron radiators, via a industrial pump. Even with the stove not lit, the 2" thick steel top retained heat for over 24 hours, as did the massive pipe system.

i grew up with a macleary (spelling?) cast iron wood stove. I really miss it.

olyman said:
hickory nick--i have lehmans cat--and let me tell ya--those stoves are big bucks--now if a person could find one for not so much dinero----!!!! i am the second owner of a near perfect--monarch cookstove--the grates are near perfect--the old lady that owned it--knew how to take care of it--tooooo many ive seen have the grates burnt out--dang--and they were nice stoves--but what ya gonna do--cast up new ones--ya right--

Very expensive. I think the monarch runs for around $5,000 new. That's a bit ridiculous, but for being hand crafted I guess it's about right. It seems that most of the wood cook stoves today are more fancy decorative and simple and practical. If more manufacturers would go practical and cost effective, leaving the chrome behind, I'm sure they could find a bigger market. Especially with energy prices as high as they are.

SRT-Tech said:
i'll try to dig up the photo if i can find it.....a farme rdown the road where i grew up welded his own wood stove from 1/2" thick steel plate. The neat part was'nt the heat retention from the 2" thick (4 x 1/2" steel slabs welded together) steel top and back, it was the multiple 2" steel pipes that ran thru the big firebox, and which were filled with water and connected to the household iron radiators, via a industrial pump. Even with the stove not lit, the 2" thick steel top retained heat for over 24 hours, as did the massive pipe system.

i grew up with a macleary (spelling?) cast iron wood stove. I really miss it.

That's pretty darn neat. Some of the newer cook stoves have kits to hook up your hot water to the stove and give it an alternate source of heat other than the standard water heater. Going the extra bit and making it a whole house heater sounds pretty inventive. I've heard of the old McCleary cook stoves. It's tough to find information on them anymore. Before electricity cook stoves were almost a necessity and you could find them about everywhere. Now they are extremely hard to find. Strange ain't it?

Latest posts

Back