Wood flying out of the splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blkcloud

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
My post about " what is this tool" got sidetracked somewhat.. But it got me to wondering.. I have used home made and I have used store bought hyd splitters for years.. Both will on occasion will get that special chunk of stubborn wood and when it decides to split .. It goes a flying .. I've had them launch 6-8 feet .. One flew out side ways the other day and hit me right in the stomach .. But.. One fellow posted that if you have a properly made wedge .. Non of this will happen.. I don't believe it.. Your thoughts..

CoreyB

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have split wood all my life. (With a maul ) and sometimes that special piece blows off the side with no real ryme or reason other then it has that kind of internal stress and week spots.

cigmaker

cigmaker

ArboristSite Member
I almost always split in the vertical position on my splitter. I have had numerous pieces fly out over the years. One though came out under so much pressure it hit the piece of oak I always sit on so hard it left a dent in it. To be honest I didn't even look down for a few seconds just sat there and waited to for any sort of pain coming from my jewels o_O

betterbuilt

betterbuilt

I build stuff from milled slabs
When I built my splitter I was given a used PTO pump so I could run it off off of my tractor. Well One of the seals on the pump was bad and it was sucking air. It just happened to be the year I had some 3foot diameter Ash to split. It would throw them 6-10 feet every time. I eventually gave up on that big stuff. I backed the trailer right up to the splitter and it would load the trailer for me. That was the last year I brought home that Big stuff home. I changed that seal and haven't had problem since.

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
. AS Supporting Member.
I've had quite a few pieces fly over the past 25 years. Usually for me it's when the two ends of a chunk are not cut parallel. When the pressure is on.....especially if it's been wet out is when it's most likely to happen. It slides up the wedge. I have 'tits' welded on the ram end that keeps it from slipping on that end....and also imprints a unique signature on the end of each piece of split wood.

Marshy

Marshy

285 Killa
Let me say this, I've never seen a professional grade splitter with a wide wedge like in the second picture above. I've also never seen splits fly off being split with a thin blade wedge like in the first picture. Coincidence? I dont think so.

Jeff Lary

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I agree that is a very fast/ wide wedge. I have had mine build up the whole 27 tons seems like then "POP" it jumps the crap out of anyone not understanding what is about to happen. I however have never had any piece of wood fly off the splitter and doubt I ever will.

blkcloud

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
How do you split wood with this without tearing your jack up?
wedge2-jpg.462628

KiwiBro

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
I've never had a chunk pop out with the Super Split - there's just not enough pressure to do that. It's a different kind of energy. I think it's much safer (not to mention so much faster).
This participant of the idjit brigade has walked with a painful gate for a few days after being hit in the goolies while using his SS, as well as losing a finger-tip (but not in the situation many would expect) while operating his SS.

There are always those of us who could crack an axe with a nut if we put our amoebic minds to it.