wood handling equipment/ attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newstihlcutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a kubota tractor, but i dont have any good way to handle logs, is there any good attachment for getting them out of the woods to a cutting pile?

i have a kubota tractor, but i dont have any good way to handle logs, is there any good attachment for getting them out of the woods to a cutting pile?

I have a Bobcat and use a set of fork lift forks. I think this is the best way to go if you have a loader.

i have trails that i am trying to stay on in the woods, i need to stay less then 6' wide. i like getting the trees out almost whole then bucking. i would love to have a skidder like my neighbors but cant justify it, nor do i need something that size.

for a while me and brother did the 2 man winch....

chain after chain after chain after chain..............after chain.

go 10 ft forward, back up, take out the slack, ahead 10ft, back up, take out slack. ahead 10 ft, back up, take out 1 chain. haha, it sucked.

finally found a PTO winch...man, it was worth every penny. combine that with a front end loader with forks. Oh yes. Remove forks and install a log grapple (3rd spool required to do it right); you'll own the woods. I use forks at the moment. IT works, just sucks, when picking up 35-40 ft logs it's hard to find 'center' so i gotta pick and poke a few times to find it. grapples will bite down, and on center, close to center , or not and tip the machine sideways :p

Last edited:
Small tractor

My grandpa has the next model down (b6100) and the kubotas in that size range are pretty small. I think a log arch would be best. Look in ballies I thought I saw a 3point hitch mounted grapple not sure if I is the right size though. I think a 3 point hitch winch is a bit too much for that tractor to handle. My 2 cents

for sure, my winch i gotta be dead straight on the pull, and ususally tugs the tractor around, sometimes i quick chain up to a tree to keep steady until the hard winching is done.

The cheap and easy way to get the wood out to your trails would be a stout rope and a snatch block. Hook the block to a tree at the edge of your trail, run the rope through it to the tree, then pull it out to the trail and hook on with a chain.

With 15hp and only 1000 lbs, don't expect to be pulling whole trees. A good sized oak tree easily weighs 3-5x what your machine does.

People have been making do with a lot less for centuries though. If finances allow it, a 3pt logging winch setup would be great. I've only seen the log arch videos, but they could be a good option too in certain conditions. What type of terrain do you have, and how thick is the woods?

I've got a 9N Ford that we have used to pull logs, but even with a short chain and using the 3 point to to lift the log to put some weight on the back end, we couldn't pull that much in the woods. Lots of spinning of tires, even with chains on.
But, if you cut your logs according to what you can pull you can get the job done.

I made a log arch that I use with my 4 wheeler and it works great.I just googled log arch and found a good design and made one myself out of a old trailer axle and some pipe.I can pull out 16' spruce logs up to 20'' with a Grizzly 400,and it doesnt do much damage to the ground because of the weight of the machine.The arch I builtdoesnt have a winch on it mit uses a sliding ring on the front bar to raise the log off the groung,and it is fast to hook up and go.

We have the same dilema, where could a person find a set of tongs or ?? to pull logs with a tractor?

I load my logs on a running gear and pull them out. That little B21 can only lift 930 lbs but that is still a good sized log.

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

Since I have the backhoe on I pull it with a 18hp farmall 130

Billy

4109817539_94bbfe4dc0.jpg

A 7' chain with a drawbar elevating the log works well for me. Sure that's a small log but we've hauled many larger logs with success. Once you elevate the front of the log from digging in the ground dragging 'em is easy.

thnaks, i am still looking into what i want to get into. just had a bunch of trees cut in front of the house and i might just buck them and use the loader bucket to get them out of the woods, it will just take so much extra time. maybe ill get a special gift from Santa to help with this process

I have pulled plenty of good sized logs out with just a chain and an choker. I rarely have even lifted the log at all and Im using turf tires in the middle of winter on a small agco tractor. The choker attachment shown by savageactor7 is key. Although after reading these I may try to get the tractor in closer and lift the log a bit..but its certainly not always required. I also try to keep to the trails as much as possible as Im cutting in a sugar bush and dont want to compact soil too much...

I use a drawbar like savage. I fall three and then hook the chain close to the log so that I can lift the logs butt. I then try and pull it away branches and all. If I can't pull it then I cut the top off and then try again. I keep trimming it down until I can pull the log. At my processing area I delimb and then stack the log.

A grab hook, drawbar, and a 5/16" chain is all you need. Your tractor can be a miniskidder.

If you refuse to venture off the trail to get the tree then you will need to set up a snatchblock and a length of cable to pull the log onto the trail.

None of this is very expensive. Getting a winch is thousands of dollars and only really helps get the log to the tractor.

Here's my miniskidder.

Latest posts

Back