wood handling equipment/ attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a drawbar like savage. I fall three and then hook the chain close to the log so that I can lift the logs butt. I then try and pull it away branches and all. If I can't pull it then I cut the top off and then try again. I keep trimming it down until I can pull the log. At my processing area I delimb and then stack the log.

A grab hook, drawbar, and a 5/16" chain is all you need. Your tractor can be a miniskidder.

If you refuse to venture off the trail to get the tree then you will need to set up a snatchblock and a length of cable to pull the log onto the trail.

None of this is very expensive. Getting a winch is thousands of dollars and only really helps get the log to the tractor.

Here's my miniskidder.

Highbeam, you're right on with the grab hook clevis. I have a pair on mine, and wouldn't be without them. Hook the chain long, drag the log into the open, back up, hook as short as possible, then lift with the 3pt. Savageactor, get yourself one of these at Tractor Supply or any good farm store:

0268080.jpg

I've got more weight and power than most of you, but I won't use anything less than a Grade 70 3/8 chain for skidding. 6600 lb working load limit, and I've snapped one or two in my day. 5/16 wouldn't hold up for me, and I'd recommend spending the money on a good (Grade 70) 3/8" chain, it's overkill for a small tractor, but it's peace of mind.

Here's a shot of the back of my Massey:

attachment.php

If one had a choice, a grapple would be a great investment

Depending on the size of the loader (tractor), the expense isn't to extravagant

P1010002.JPG

P1010001.JPG

Backhoe thumbs are excellent in tight areas as well, also great fro lifting, placing and holding for cutting

Hello to all, as I wrote in a 'further discussion, I moved to the wood, use this :cheers:

Last edited:
what i did on our farm we had an old quick tach fork set laying around. i took those bolt on 3pt pegs from tsc and bolted those in the 2 wholes that were already on the set of forks for the lift arms of the 3pt and i welded some stock going up perpendicular to the top of the forks for the top link so that they would go on a standard 3pt on any of our tractors then i just slide the 2 adjustable forks into the middle so that they are touching and lock them in so they dont slid out then pick the end of the log up a few inches and use a chain to secure it to the tractor so it doesn't slide off the forks. i find it very useful and alot cheaper than buying a set of premade 3pt forks i think the attachment was 150 at auction then about 6 bucks for the hardware.

Latest posts

Back