Wood hauler debate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're not running crazy power then a diaphragm pressure plate 3250 or so with a ceramic or organic disc coating will be best for that. I like the double disc better than a single for towing since it's easier to back and pull out loaded heavy. They will take more slipping when pulling out without bucking like the high HP rated singles. Heaviest I probably towed was 20k or so on the double disc.

how do you like that dual disc?
i also have a 04.5 3500 SRW nv5600, been thinkin about the same setup, just wondering how smooth it is?
dont really know why im askin seening as i usually only use it to start, and float the rest of the time hahah

The dual disc is the only way to go for a work/tow rig...the performance single disc offerings, like the SBC OFe are too grabby and cause pretty rough jerking when trying to back up a load and they tend to grab pretty hard on takeoff. I had an OFe for a little while (about 35k before the pressure plate warped), and mine wasn't toooooo bad; but a friends was a harsh engagement no matter what.

The dual discs are seamless and smooth, just like OE; except they will hold regardless of load/horse power. I had one of the older offerings, and with the four levers...the rotating mass (the only thing that would make a difference in the speed of engagement) is the same between a diaphragm and lever versions...in other words, the comment about engagement speed was incorrect. The only thing the 3850 does over the 3250 is cause more clamping force and a little stiffer pedal, which the latter is alleviated by the use of upgraded (i.e. "12-valve") hydraulics. Again, mine was an older model, and it rattled...sounds like something is going to come out from under the truck when you push the clutch pedal in...but that was normal for them. They have made improvements to make them less noisy now from what I understand. There is no notable difference in shift speed between a OE and dual disc.

As far as twisting off input shafts...they make billets for the NV4500/NV5600 to prevent that. I was only running a Smarty JR on tow when I toasted the OE clutch...turned out I had a faulty OE clutch disc that was only touching in three spots about the size of a 50 cent piece. The funny part was I had 180k miles on that clutch disc without any issues, then toasted it within five minutes.

If anyone is interested: I still have the flywheel (surfaced once), OFe disc (looks new), and warped pressure plate; if someone wants to try installing a OFe disc with a stock pressure plate. Free, just pick it up near Reading, PA (weighs about 75#s, so shipping isn't going to work). On second thought...I better make sure I still have it.

For those running the NV5600...if the shifting becomes sticky or really notchy, change the fluid. I had to change the fluid (synchromesh) in mine about every 25k miles to keep the shifting feeling nice (to me).

just a heavy pedal?
you ever tow with it? i tow 10-15k fairly often, or im loaded, i dont run empty too often, im just looking for somthing that will handle the weight better than the stock clutch

I towed up to 20k GVW with my 04.5, with a Smarty JR and dual disc...it never offered to slip, and that load was hooked about 100 miles after installing the new clutch. The dual disc will drive just like the OE single, loaded or unloaded. Had I understood this when first clutch shopping, I would have never bothered with a performance single.

As I noted, the heavy pedal is eliminated by upgrading the hydraulics.

The sprung hub disc clutches are a little quieter than the others. They will make a rattle so you might want to google dual disc dodges or something of that nature. You'll get lots of questions about what's wrong with your truck from that sound. I got to the point where I was going what sound to make it like they were hearing things:laugh: when you get to the later trucks with the G56 the upgraded hydraulics help but the 3850 is still almost twice the pedal load from stock. The earlier trucks it isn't as noticeable and you can upgrade the hydraulics on the 96-05 with the 94-95 hydraulics. They are a little bigger slave cylinder and will take a 3600 plate load easily.

Back