wood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to describe what I think of that site, it's not like they are anti wood burning types or anything, maybe it's just their choice of words but it's like I wanna puke if I read very long.

A trip to the woods for me is not like living a mother goose tail.

I don't "harvest mother nature" I cut wood

I don't heat with wood because it give me carbon credits, I heat with wood because it saves me money and as an aside the smoke Pi$$es off the tree huggers that drive past my house,,, on second thought maybe I do it just because of that??

I don't feel one bit irresponsible because I own the wood burner they claim Satan would own, an OWB.

I know,, I am just an old, unshaven and uneducated redneck

But proud of it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's like yuppies crossed with hippies and Mother Earth back to nature types. I laugh at the green movement, we've survived in the country for nearly 4 decades and never mentioned green. All of a sudden people find out that there is a world beyond the mall.

Ehh, I won't rag on the site. They seem dedicated to wood burning and trying to educate others, can't knock them for that.

I do question the BTU ratings they provide, Most seemed a bit generous. I have seen similar #'s posted on the net and wonder who is quoting whom on these.

All in all I thought it was a good starting place for those new to wood burning wanting to be an outdoor goer.

In the D.C. area: Code Orange!...I can tell the difference once I cross the Blue Ridge and get back to T:dizzy: he Valley

Actually, I wasn't trying to rag on them eiether. Another website that shall remain nameless considers "regular" OWB users to be sort of beneath them...all gasifiers, all day.

I think woodheat has some good information, but like anything else it has to be taken with a measure of common sense as well. I also kind of get the "uppity" vibe from some of the articles. It's like you do it that way and only that way or else.

some good info... some pure BS.... they claim outside make up air is next to worthless.

if you want good info... go to ********** forums or post a question here on AS. ask the good folks at ********** if you want real experts to respond.

now.. where's gooserider?

------------------------

http://www.woodheat.org/outdoorair/outdoorair.htm

The problem with outdoor air supplies
It seemed like such a good idea until it was tested.

Most building codes in North America require that woodburning equipment have a supply of combustion air provided from outside the dwelling. These rules were put in place on the assumption that most smoke spillage from fireplaces (and stoves, furnaces and so on) is caused by their inability to "get enough air" and that the outdoor air supply would provide enough air and therefore reduce spillage.

When, in 1989, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation sponsored some research it became clear that both assumptions were wrong. It turns out that most smoke spillage from woodburning systems is caused by bad design and that outdoor air supplies don't do much of anything to reduce spillage.

Here is further information on the subject of outdoor combustion air supplies.

Excerpts from Fireplace Air Requirements, the CMHC study that shed light on the outdoor combustion air question.

A more detailed discussion of the behavior of outdoor air supplies.

How the CMHC research affected the treatment of outdoor air supplies in the National Building Code of Canada.

Last edited:
But, does that apply to super-tight houses with litte/no air exchange?...not bragging on my house, but I cracked the kitchen window a little to make the woodstove draw properly, eliminate backdrafting...

Like the sticker on my CB 5036 sez: "burning wood can be more of an art than a science"

:biggrinbounce2:

me too.. my house is super tight...if I shut off outside air feed, wood insert will not draw properly unless I crack something open.

mine is running with 100% outside makeup air... blanket statement that outside air is no good is flat BS!

as with most topics like this with much variables... it really depends...

But, does that apply to super-tight houses with litte/no air exchange?...not bragging on my house, but I cracked the kitchen window a little to make the woodstove draw properly, eliminate backdrafting...

Like the sticker on my CB 5036 sez: "burning wood can be more of an art than a science"

:biggrinbounce2:

Just a quick note in support of woodheat.org.
When I first started to heat with wood I found the information very helpful.
I too don't agree with their opinion of outside air supplies, but I just use the information that is helpful and leave the rest.
I didn't get the stuck up vibes and they don't seem to be biased.
I now know all of the information on wooodheat.org, but often direct people new to woodheat there.
It's a great place to start and sometimes I revisit to see what's new.
Now I find that I pick up even more information reading this forum.
There are so many variables when heating with wood that I find the many experiences that are shared on this forum extremely helpful.
Keep sharing everyone.

dead on!

everyone's air requirements are different. that's why making a blanket statement that having an outside air supply is always bad is inaccurate.

you are right.. mine operates more like a fireplace and has huge air requirements. there's no way mine could operate with only inside air without cracking open a window. house is simply too tight. assuming I did exactly that, a major amount of heat would be lost up the chimney.

now if they narrowed parameters down to modern air tight stoves (especially ones they sell). that would be more believable.

It was my understanding that the insert you are using, the JUCA, has air demands more like a fireplace than an airtight wood stove.

You unit has many times the air demand than modern air tight wood stoves and it's why it's exempt from EPA emission standards.

I heated a very air tight 1,500sq ft. house with electric radiant heating panels in the ceiling and tripple pane windows with a JotulF3CB for six years, and had no need of an outdoor air supply. This was one tight house!

I think a major point the research showed was that if a house doesn't have enough air exchange for a modern wood burning stove....then its air exchange is to low to maintain a healthy indoor air quality.

Latest posts

Back