Wood Hoarder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger that. She 1/2 German, 1/2 Irish about as tough as they get here (lezzys not included!). I gotta hand it to you east coasters winter looks HARSH there. We get temps down in 20's and occasionally teens here thats probably a warm day there in January.

As you can see you are not the only one. Every time I get grief or weird looks from people about my wood hoarding tendencies I come here to AS and am reassured that I am not the only one.

Currently I have 13 cords split and stacked which should last me the next two winter( if I get that 2nd stove) and at least three years if I just keep one stove going. I actually have my yard and driveway 99.9% clear of rounds, logs, and wood chips. But a friend has two large ash trees down and he lives 1 mile away. Before April is through, I will have another cord of wood in my driveway And who knows if someone else will call me about trees. Hoarding is ok in my book, the wood won't go to waste!

haha

Roger that. She 1/2 German, 1/2 Irish about as tough as they get here (lezzys not included!). I gotta hand it to you east coasters winter looks HARSH there. We get temps down in 20's and occasionally teens here thats probably a warm day there in January.

cool man mine is half Irish half Italian which means she can cook pretty well too if I can keep her out of the liquor cabinet.

We seem to be a remarkably needy lot of folks requiring a lot of reassurance that we're not bonkos because of our compulsive need to cut, gather, and burn.

But, truth be told, this is a serious problem and CORD (Cutters' Obessive Rabidity Disorder) wreaks havoc among families living anywhere wintertime temps dip below freezing.

Whaaaat???? (CORD), Do I need some sort of inoculation to remain healthy? What are the tell tale signs to watch out for? Does Rabidity have anything to do with Rabies? Good God, I hope it's not to late.

Maplemeister: :chainsaw::dizzy:

Had to leave for awhile to go get some more wood cleaned up. You guys took off with it. Go ahead let it out, you'll feel better.

Never enough

I have it too. Trying to cut all the wood I can before the mushrooms start popping and all the critters that go along with them. Cut 2 gas tank fulls last evening after work. Hard maple and ash. Went today after work to pick it up. Had such a large load on trailer I blew a tire out on way out of woods to unload at wood pile. Went back with pickup to finish the job and get rest of the load, probably a good cord or so. I am doing this and have at least 30 cords under tarp. I plan on quitting when I start mowing grass in a couple weeks.

Grandfather took out a bunch of locust to get to some more gravel at his pit. I said why didn't you tell me you wanted them out before you dozed em up into a huge pile. Needless to say his worker is going to sort and lay them out nice with all tops in one direction so I can go in there with PPE to the hilt. To good a wood to go up in bonfire. Just hope I can keep tires on the old chevy.

Whaaaat???? (CORD), Do I need some sort of inoculation to remain healthy? What are the tell tale signs to watch out for? Does Rabidity have anything to do with Rabies? Good God, I hope it's not to late.

Maplemeister: :chainsaw::dizzy:

The only known cure for CORD requires a series of painful shots administered to the stomach and several rounds of electroshock.

The good news is that the only mouth foaming associated with CORD is when you catch sight of the ulitity crews dropping trees on the right of way. And, of course, the foam you wipe away from your mouth after cracking that 1st beer while splitting. :)

Good thing you added that caveat. I remember a thread last year about climbing for firewood getting out of hand. The forum moderator had to lock it.

How well I remember that thread.I dont remember who brought it up, but I know I sure took a beating in that thread.
I thought it was really pretty funny, so many of the pro guys took offense from those of us that climb for firewood, yet the local guys around here have been pretty swell about it.Trevor from Clearview Tree Service is a local guy, and he has been more than helpful.Always glad to give advise,pointers,and a good explanation as to how and why he did a job in a certain way.
A couple of weeks ago, he brought a load of wood by, and after dumping it in my backyard, gave me a ton of magazines related to the industry.Read em all, they were some good reading.
Me?I am going to keep climbing,cutting wood, and to he11 with anyone that objects.Besides, I take the jobs that most of the tree guys wouldnt want anyway.

Nothing wrong with being prepared and working ahead. We try to work on nice days and having a stockpile keeps you from having having to cut in the rain or wood with ice on it. Storing in barns is no problem if you have the space. Animals like to nest in it and racoons will used the top of the pile as a restroom. We use traps to keep them under control.

You think you got a problem? Check out this moron....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=87207

Nothing wrong with being prepared and working ahead. We try to work on nice days and having a stockpile keeps you from having having to cut in the rain or wood with ice on it. Storing in barns is no problem if you have the space. Animals like to nest in it and racoons will used the top of the pile as a restroom. We use traps to keep them under control.

You think you got a problem? Check out this moron....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=87207

LOL ... that's the thread I thought about when I first read this one. Even that first 78 cord in your first pic keeps me sober when I get to thinking that I might have enough firewood.

Thanks for posting that link .... it does a body good to see the results of hard work.

:cheers:

I don't know how I missed that thread by Kevin. That is alot of wood. I can't imagine all the stacking. That is truly awesome!!

Latest posts

Back