Wood ID Help - Ash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dealingdave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I am located in SE WI. I got some wood from the Utility Company tree trimming crew, but do not know what it is. All branches and leaves were gone. Just the wood neatly piled by the side of the road.

It splits easily with a hydraulic splitter and has a smell similar to ash floors I put in last year. Is this a type of ash? Can someone take a look at the attached pics and throw out some ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Any thoughts on what type of ash it may be? Black, green, white? Is white ash, white all through the tree?

Dave

Yup,

Good stuff,

attachment.php

It looks like white ash to me too - I don't have as much experience with black or green ash, but that wood color, bark, grain and the darker center area are just like what I've burned so much of. I've gone back and forth as to whether I like oak or ash better, but mostly I think ash is the best of the best. If oak isn't quite seasoned properly it can be a PITA, but ash will never let you down.

Any thoughts on what type of ash it may be? Black, green, white? Is white ash, white all through the tree?

Dave

The only way I can tell the difference between white and green ash is to look at the leaves. The backside of a white ash leaf will have a white or at least lighter shade of green than the front side. In the fall when the leave are changing a white ash will have light yellow leaves with purplish tints around the outsides of the canopy, green ash leaves just turn yellow.

Nice read there,

Sad thing is that bug is devastating to these fine trees.
The "Kings wood" is what it is called in an old English rhyme.

Back