Wood ID help??? Black Locust??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be butternut or maybe a different type of walnut? English? White? If it was from here with that heartwood it would definetly be butternut or black walnut.

IMG_0064_zpspongfuye.jpg

IMG_0065_zpscrpbthk2.jpg

IMG_0066_zps0ptqg80j.jpg
Elm!

Need a good picture of a twig and a cross section of the pith to get a good id on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I just split some Black Walnut by hand last weekend...I had forgotten how easy it was. Each log split with one hit, basically just from the weight of the maul and no added effort. Sib. Elm is another story.... Good luck splitting it by hand at all.

I just split some Black Walnut by hand last weekend...I had forgotten how easy it was. Each log split with one hit, basically just from the weight of the maul and no added effort. Sib. Elm is another story.... Good luck splitting it by hand at all.
That should help ID it right there.

The black locust around here has little thorns, but still very sharp and a real PITA. Honey locust has the 6" dagger thorns. ( I sent one of my crews to remove one this morning... I'm waiting to see how bad they "MF" me later on)

You are correct. I've heard my dad and old timers around here call the big thorny ******** black locust for so long its natural response to call them that. I cut the heck out of black locust for fireweood and leave that honey locust alone, I don't even like going near them with tractors.
I saw one of them big thorns go through a tractor tire like it was a nail driven in.

That's definitely not black locust. I've cut a bunch of it and as said above its yellow. Its also heavy as hell. It's got an odor that's hard to describe. It definitely doesn't smell good either.

Back