Wood ID please (apple?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc38

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I scored some free sugar maple saturday. Then the woman shows me another pile that she says is apple and asks if I want it. Quickly in my mind, I rule out some of the species that I know it isn't that would be undesirable and say yes I'll take it. I'm not that familiar with apple other than eating them cause I don't typically run across someone giving it away.

They had it all cut up in rounds. It was stacked on the ground so some of it is a little punky. When I split it, it has a pretty pungent odor, but not what I would call apple-y. I filled the back of a 1/2 ton pickup with it.

I am attaching one picture of a round and one picture of a split.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

I agree, it is apple and can be tuff to split. The apple i have burned burns very well but it seems like I get alot of ash from it if the fire is choked down.
Great score for free wood.:clap:

You might consider laying it on it's side and noodling away at it. Split some by hand last year and nearly broke myself.

Sure looks like apple to me. Must've been an old tree. They don't get to that girth too quick.

Love it as firewood. We save it for special occasions like Thanksgiving and gatherings. The heat's good and the aroma's awesome.

Latest posts

Back