Wood ID Please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure on the stuff with the dark centers, but a lot of that looks like ash to me.

ash for sure
Can anybody see the pic. i'm messing around trying to embed the pics.

224258d1329412337-2012-02-16_12-01-17_437-jpg

Norway maple. All of it. If by red maple you mean crimson king that is a variety of Norway maple.

Thanks all.....guess it doesnt really matter what type of wood it is......it is decent and FREE!!

Mean while, my new toy (x27) arrived yesterday.....looking very forward to giving her a try here soon......I love hand splitting!!

View attachment 224533

Only one thing that looks like ash bark outside with a dark brown core in the center.
Norway maple.

At 26 mbtu i would keep it :)
Burns and splits alot like ash, burns a bit hotter and longer than ash, not a great coaling wood though so use it in the day and load up big chunks for the night.

Took about 2-3 hours for me to split all the rounds with my x27. The smaller ones took 1 swing to go through, as the larger ones took 2-3 swings split go through. Easy splitting wood !

Turned out to be about 1-1/3 face cords....all stacked and hopefully ready for next winter. Now I look forward to another load :)

Oh yeah, the x27 worked great! WELL worth the $54 shipped!

View attachment 225133

Last edited:
Jeremy102579,

Free wood is always the best kind to burn :)
Norway is good stuff, will keep the chill of the house on the coldest days.
Norway for me is much like ash in all aspects.
A pleasure to split for sure.

I got a nice score on Friday when the township crew was cutting down dead trees.
Been driving past a decent sized rock elm maybe 1 mile from my house for 6 years.
Noticed the crew had it down, stopped and told them i would clear it up for them and they could have a long lunch.
60 minutes later it was all cut to size and move to my place.
Around 1 cord of the heaviest deadest thing I've ever moved.
Couldn't manhandle a 2'x1'long round onto the tailor so had to noodle everything that size and bigger.
I can manhandle a 3'X1' of sugar maple semi easy.

So little snow this winter to re wet it and the wood 6 year cured i went ahead and split some and burnt a bit today.
No fire like 6 year cured rock elm, I'm keeping the neighbors warm with it I'm sure. :)

Back