Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of tree this is by looking at the wood. I cut it seemed fairly easy didnt eat up my stock chain on my husky 455 and took 3 to 5 swings with a splitting maul to bust the bigger pieces (20" dia.) right down the middle. The lighter colored round piece that is smaller came from top of tree where as the larger darker pieces came from trunk of tree..no leaves on it no smell that I can tell but just doesnt look like maple to me.. thanks..

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

looks like maple to me

is it a certain kind of maple cause this came from my moms property out in the woods so never saw the leaves on it. It was a uprooted tree that was still growing (had green in the bark when I scraped it on tail gate of truck) till I cut it up few weeks ago. I know I have maples here in my yard but they have a more rough looking bark on them than this wood in the picture does..not sure what kind per say but they clog my gutters with whirly gigs and start growing trees out of them..lol..thanks

Oh yeah Im in southern Indiana and the wood is not extremely heavy I was able to pick the large pieces up myself and im not cut or a body builder but somewhat strong I guess..lol. guess thats a description of myself..

Guess I would agree with the 'popular' guys and say based on bark, easy cut, whitish color and light weight...poplar

definitely popular

Guess I would agree with the 'popular' guys and say based on bark, easy cut, whitish color and light weight...poplar

big tooth or yellow popel one and the same. when cutting it the fine chips/dust it has leaves a bad taste in you mouth!!!

Poplar, also known as Aspen and Popple.

Yup Yup Yup yup yup and yup!

It's a Colorado thing, to send someone a Aspen seedling , they grow like weeds anywhere, and when you latter call that person it's customary to ask them 'how's their aspen (assbeen)?'

If there were any elk around, they would eat it.

Kay_aspen2.jpg

the upper branches of this tree do resemble this pic alot but not the lower trunk area..and as far as cotton floating around in the air in late spring I dont recall seeing any cotton other than dandelion fuzzies when I mow the grass...If it is this aspen thats sucks cause it has a low on the burn chart for heat value..was hoping I scored something good.lol.. thanks,

soft maple would be my guess but im not certain. not sure if the "poplar" you guys are talking about is what we have (yellow poplar or tulip tree) but its definatly not that. we dont have any true poplars so i dont know about those.

I don't guess there's much to choose between soft maple and poplar if we're talking firewood, but it looks like maple to me.

Jack

Latest posts

Back