Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attachment.php

Black walnut

My first thought was walnut too.

alien wallnut

with the green and dark brown it sure looks like alien walnut to me. What part of the country did this come from area 51?

I have black walnuts on my property and they look just like that other than the green tint between the dark and light. My wife says I just dont pay good enough attention though.:clap:

Walnut. Good luck burning it. Maybe mix it in with maple or something. I don't like it.

Im new to burning this season, but the load i purchased before i started scrounging was all walnut and it has burned excellent. I love it, I still have about 1/2 rick left and i'll be sorry to see it go.

Could have had some serious money in that log. My neighbor sold a few Walnut logs like that and got $600 out of the deal. ( circa December 2008) Roughly $100 per log. I wouldn't believe him but I seen the load, and the check later, and the subsequent shed he built after that.

I never liked burning that stuff either. Split em small and mix them in with other species, everything should be fine

I thought it was walnut too, the blue/green ring looked extra bright blue though, hadnt seen one with that color blue/green before. Walnut should burn ok, if seasoned well. There was no wire in that log, splits well. Around here, there are only 2 millls. They only sell lumber to homeowners, hobby people, etc. Around here trees aint worth much as lumber, only firewood.

presence of steel (usually a farmers fence row ) is what can give that strange green or blue color i n the ring pattern ..big mills that have a big sawing operation will reject otherwise excellent logs if theres any color like that becuase it will ruin their blades which can cost high amounts of money

I thought it was walnut too, the blue/green ring looked extra bright blue though, hadnt seen one with that color blue/green before. Walnut should burn ok, if seasoned well. There was no wire in that log, splits well. Around here, there are only 2 millls. They only sell lumber to homeowners, hobby people, etc. Around here trees aint worth much as lumber, only firewood.

The blue/Green color on the log is bar & chain oil.

Latest posts

Back