Wood Id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#1 looks like cherry. Another excellent firewood.

Lou Braun

The last photo does look like cherry. I have had back luck with it this year. Seems to be light when seasoned and snaps and pops when burning. Not as good as hickory, oak or black birch. A neighbor just logged a bunch of it and I cut up the tops left behind.

1. I thought cherry at first because of the bark but that heartwood doesn't look like any cherry that I have ever seen. It should be much darker than that for that size of tree. What about an evergreen like pine or spruce?
2. Shagbark hickory-great wood, burns good, good for wildlife but can be difficult to split by hand.
3. Not sure-pictures were a bit fuzzy

Number 1 definately looks like black cherry.
EXCELLENT firewood. wish I had a couple truckloads of that.

1. Black cherry
2. Shagbark hickory
3. Almost looks like three different trees. A dead sugar maple? (need more pictures--twigs with end buds, end grain of a log, etc)

Last edited:
1- Cherry (we get them with the wierd bark around here as well,fungus?)
2- Shagbark Hickory
3- Cottonwood/Elm/Ash??? (Some sort of hardwood?)

#3 is hard to tell, but Cottonwood and ash gets me unless I can eyeball a branch or split rounds.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I know the pictures of number 3 are bad, will get some more when I get a chance to drop it. I was told to get it down before it falls on the shed. It has a big crack in the truck right smack down the center. I have difficulties telling the difference between basswood, and cherry, they both look similar, what are some distinguishing characteristics? Look about the same color, similar bark.

I know the pictures of number 3 are bad, will get some more when I get a chance to drop it. I was told to get it down before it falls on the shed. It has a big crack in the truck right smack down the center. I have difficulties telling the difference between basswood, and cherry, they both look similar, what are some distinguishing characteristics? Look about the same color, similar bark.

Basswood looks somewhat like ash but is a tad smoother and has smaller ridges, and is not as good of wood. It's considerably softer and cuts ridiculously easily.

Back