wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
got some free wood , and I have no idea what it is , the guy I got it from said it is maple ,but he wasn't sure

logging012.jpg

logging013.jpg

logging014.jpg

logging015.jpg

My first thought was Bird Cherry or what ever they call that other Cherry, but after waiting for more pics to download, I can see Sycamore, though I'm not sure what the heartwood of a Sycamore looks like, Western Indiana is loaded with them.

i don't think it's sycamore, the bark is too smooth on the butt logs and none of the outer layer of bark is peeled on any of the wood.

i may be crazy but...

beech?

there are a few around here like that, but i was just pointing out that it was well past a sapling. after i posted that, i counted the rings in the pic. 25 lol. lucky guess :)

Usually the bigger they are the more "scaling" on the trunk. (not science, just my personal observation). I thought beech at first aswell, but I could see "scaling" on most of the pieces and have never seen this on beech.

TS:cheers:

the scaling threw me off, but around here some of the beech trees will have a little here and there, revealing those yellow/greenish colors as opposed to gray/whitish colors of sycamore.

Looks like sycamore to me. It might be a limb out of a larger tree. The limbs usually don't have the scales as much as the trunk does. Heartwood looks about right too.

Latest posts

Back