Wood insert recomendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an old Country EPA stove that i really hate. the blower is always on the fritz and it will cost more to replace the blower than i have in the stove. It makes an odor that isnt smoke related...I am not interested in making amends with it.
I have plenty of insulated chimney liner above it so draft shouldnt be a problem.
So, who makes a good insert? What do you have, are you happy with it? How much space do you heat with it?
Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks!

I have a RSF Opel 2 zero clearance fireplace. Lots of ducting options. I have a run that goes up 20 feet (to the attic over the 2nd story), then runs 80 feet to an upstairs TV room on the opposite end of the house. Works great! I can easily get the TV room 75+ if I want to. Make in Canada, where I assume they would know something about heating.... I've been really happy with it for 7 years now.

Got a Hampton HI300 that we really like. This is its tenth winter, and we heat with wood exclusively. (Meaning that over the weekend when the temps were well below 0, I kept myself awake till about 2 a.m. for the last stoking.) This is on the main level, we also have a soapstone freestanding stove in the basement. Our fireplace opening limited how large a stove we could fit in, and this was the largest or I'd have gone with greater capacity, bigger firebox. Our house is 30' x 30', two-story with walkout basement (a sizable box!), and those two units do the job. The only time I allow my baseboard hot water oil burner system to fire up is when we travel.

When I was shopping for this insert one thing I paid close attention to was the noise of the blower--a loud one would really annoy me. This unit has a two-speed fan, and I keep it on low except in rare instances when we need to heat up a cold house after being gone for some time. The thermostat is quite reliable, so the blower comes on once the fire is right, and shuts off when the fire dies. I leave it set and never have to mess with it. You can barely hear the fan running--it's very quiet. (High speed is not at all quiet of course.) Over time, dust buildup on the fan (squirrel cage design) makes it a little noisy, so about every two years I pull out the fan assembly and clean it with toothbrush, vacuum, etc.

The exterior of the stove is cast iron. You have the choice of plain black cast, or a very handsome "timberline brown" enamel, which costs more. I've been forever grateful that I didn't try to save a few $--the enamel finish is easy on the eyes and cleans up really well.

One asterisk on the insert--and I expect this is true for any of them--is that if the power goes out and the blower quits, there's quite a bit of heat trapped in the wall. I imagine it's less of an issue with a masonry fireplace, but ours was a manufactured steel shell--all good until you get to the stove surround. The stone on the face of my hearth is mounted to plywood, and when the stove's heat is not pushed into the room by the blower the stone above the stove gets too hot to put a hand on. Which makes me a bit apprehensive.

So anytime we lose power (got a generator but it's a pain in the ass to fuel up & drag into position, so I don't unless we lose power for over 24 hrs) I let the insert fire die down and feed the downstairs stove to the max.

Latest posts

Back