wood logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joonhee

Reaction score
My family is about to buy a 80 acer land and its heavily forested, is there a company that will clear cut the trees for the wood? If they take the stumps even better.

What are you looking to get out of the woods? What type of time frame to get cleaned up? I do clear cutting for some farmers in my area, making way for more field. Might be interested depending on location.

what do you mean, what am i looking to get out for the wood? I need the trees :greenchainsaw: and the logs removed with the stumps.

if it going to cost me too much, i'm going to just buy an LT28, chain saw, and a tractor and do it myself.

My family is about to buy a 80 acer land and its heavily forested, is there a company that will clear cut the trees for the wood? If they take the stumps even better.

Lots of logging companies will clear, but I don't know many that will take stumps.

A tractor isn't going to help with stumps unless it has some tracks and a blade. Otherwise it would be cheaper to higher someone.

Last edited:
Lots of logging companies will clear, but I don't know many that will take stumps.

A tractor isn't going to help with stumps unless it has some tracks and a blade. Otherwise it would be cheaper to higher someone.

thats the thing, i know lots of company will pay for the lumber but if they can take the stumps too, i would not mind if they didn't give me anything. I don't want the stumps grinded, i need the stumps removed. Its going to be turned into farm land.

Do you have any pics? What kind of trees? Anything of merchantable size to be logged or just junk to be cleared? 80 acres is a lot to clear with stumps and all. Without the right equipment and experience you are looking at months or years of clearing depending on what the plot looks like if you try to diy.

i usually do it for the wood and cost to rent excavator. right now i am using a kumatsu lt120 and in struggles on the big stumps. i also have a tractor to skid out wood. let me know if your interested. could even include firewood for you on the deal.

You can probably find some one to log it, but I dont know about log it and stump it.... for a few reasons.

One, if you dont want the stumps ground, you probably dont want 80 acres of stumps pushed up somewere.You could bury them, but that would call for a real big hole to hold 80 acres worth of stumps. You could burn them over a LONG period of time, and it takes a while to burn a stump pile, or you have to hire someone to haul them off, and i know you dont wanna do that.

Two, I think itd be better to grind them. If your gonna farm it, youll have to clean up the brush mess anyways, and youll never notice a few wood chips compared to the 80 acres of tree tops.

Three, I COULD very well be wrong, but I dought that anyone would trade the wood for the stumping or grinding, unless theres some real good wood on the property. If you have to rent an excavator thats gonna get in your pockets pretty quick. You can stump with a 120 or 150 size machine, but I perfer a 200 size, or 320 in the caterpillar brand. Rent runs about 4500,00 to 6000.00 depending on the place and the market, for a month. Good luck with your shoping.:)

Logging Expectations

I used to work as a consulting forester for a lumber mill in the Southeast and the question of what the timber on a tract was worth was a question we got asked frequently. In order to answer that question, did a "cruise" of the property. The cruise involves having someone who knows how to estimate the actual timber volume statistically and quality on the tract by species who knows the local market and can look for what is most valuable. The next question is what if any challenges are involved in logging the property such as waterways, road restrictions, etc. I cannot recall ever removing the slash (left over limbs, tops etc) or the stumps, but would have done it, as a deduction from the proceeds to the land owner.

We used to do the cruises on that size tract in a day or two depending upon weather and the challenges in that tract. Working up the estimate of value was an integral part of the cruise. When we presented the information to the land owner it was not the cruise results, but a price for the timber. If you want the results you will have to buy that from a consulting forester.

Hope that helps.

You want to de-forest 80 acres?
Maybe you should explain what you are trying to accomplish better. Where in Mi are you, for starters.

Ed

80 Acres?

Where at?
If there's anything worth anything in there, even for cribbing/pallet wood, it should pay enough to cover the stump removal/grinding.

What crop are you planning for?

Some of the NRCS incentives are interesting if you have the right set up, and can participate.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

sounds like you should buy 80acres of land with no trees... save you work and money.

if you want it cleared, hire a dozer.

if you want it logged. hire a forester. then he/she will recommend a logger.

sounds like you should buy 80acres of land with no trees... save you work and money.

if you want it cleared, hire a dozer.

if you want it logged. hire a forester. then he/she will recommend a logger.

X2...biting off quite a bit IMO, but dont know your situation. Forest soil may be good to grow trees, but for it to grow crops, thats differnt. gonna take alot of soil work and finishing to have a decent field. There must be farms or cleared lots already for sale for the state of the agricultural industry...in NY theres alot of farms just sittin and waiting.

You can stump with a 120 or 150 size machine, but I perfer a 200 size, or 320 in the caterpillar brand. Rent runs about 4500,00 to 6000.00 depending on the place and the market, for a month. Good luck with your shoping.:)

I like a Volvo 460CLFX- in road builder form lol. Bottom line, is rent whatever is biggest, in good shape, and in your price range.

Back