Wood Lot Management

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppermancjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have a good resource for managing a wood lot? Advice? Someone recommended I contact the DNR but I'd rather keep them out of things...

I've searched the net and have come up with some things but they all seem pretty high level. For example, if there is a cluster of Maples growing together with one of them being much larger than the others, should I trim out the small ones and leave the big one to grow?

Just looking for some simple advice. In case it maters, the property is a mix of hard woods with some Popple and a little bit of pine mixed in. Ash is all dead/dying so that is going for sure. Rest is a mix of Oak and Maple, more Maple than oak.

I have a small hardwood woodlot myself. All natural, nothing I planted. I do go through and thin the forest. First things to come down are standing dead (great firewood). Second to go are storm damaged trees (also great firewood). I remove trees that are growing up through other trees, both will suffer if left alone. I like trees but am not in the fish kisser/tree hugger group. I leave all of the majestic trees standing and when I can I clear away brush and clutter. It looks a lot nicer and doesn't cheat nature. I look for small Oak and Hickory that can be transplanted to open spots where they have plenty of room to grow. The Ash trees and Maple trees are like weeds they are so prolific and I have no problem cutting them down. I was surprised how much the natural grass came back under some of the big trees once the scrubby stuff was cut away.

Good luck with your project. It takes a lot of work.

Down here in Ahia we have county foresters who will come out and help with things like that. Woodlot management has become very popular since the state came down hard on what they will allow for agricultural use tax abatement. I have been managing my 25 some acres of woods for over 20 years and I do believe that it pays out in both firewood and salable timber.

If I were you, I'd move this over to the Forestry and Logging forum. There's some real foresters on there, including folks from east of the Rockies.

First of all, you need to answer the question, what do you want to manage for?

First of all, you need to answer the question, what do you want to manage for?

Valid point. I do not own the property of which I speak. My father does. I know he is entertaining the idea of having it select cut. There are many mature trees already. With that, he isn't into cutting fire wood as I am. He keeps encouraging me to get a more efficient propane furnace so I don't have to "rely" on wood heat. He just doesn't understand... :msp_wink:

I'm hoping that someday I might own the property or at least have a share in it. I'd like to be able to have it select cut again in the next 30 years or so and in the meantime, continue to harvest fire wood. It's 80 acres so there is plenty of blow downs, uproots, and dead stuff for fire wood. In the meantime, if I can grab some extra fire wood from trimming to improve the stand that would be great as well.

You could start by cutting junk trees - ones that are stunted or badly leaning. Maples are notorious for this; I dropped several leaner maples over the last couple years.

Any tree that has carpenter ants working the base should go. Also, if the top has been broken out, take it.

Leave the healthy, majestic trees stand. They'll reseed where you've left an opening in the canopy.

Start with the Ash, its not going to be good much longer. I always begin by cutting the smallest trees first to open the area up, giving you more room to work and lay down the larger trees. Hazard trees come down last if possible. Pile and remove or burn the brush, if there's lots of trees to come out it'll be in your way.

Another option is to hire a Forrester and have them develop a management plan for you.

Ed

You can take out crookedly dog legged trees, not useful for lumber, so firewood. Others are orphaned old trees growing under the canopy, they can be quite old but only sapling sized. Excessive one species over another and crowded, yep, thin them out, leave the best ones.

and stuff like that there!

It is just like gardening, save the seeds from the very best stuff, harvest and eat the grade B and lower veggies, plus weeding. Just in the woodlot, you got big..veggies!

hey, found this link, looks cool

11: Wildlife and Forest Management

Contact your County Forester. They will "cruise" the woodlot with you for free. Well not really free, you're already paying their salary through your State taxes.

Last edited:
We also have an organization called The Washington Farm Forestry Association which is geared to non-forest educated folks who want to raise trees. You might also see if there is an active Tree Farm group. If you join, either one has a lot of educational seminars and field trips. You also will want to look into what laws there are about where and when you can harvest. Our state has a Forest Practices Act to follow if one is planning on cutting more than one logtruck load of trees.

Whether you like it or not, the gubermint may have some say in what goes on. That's why you need to find LOCAL help.

Plus, selective cut doesn't give much of an idea. What species do you want to keep? What spacing (basal area) will work best? Do you want to take out small clumps and leave other areas untouched? Thin from above or below? Do a shelterwood cut? What kind of equipment will you need to design for?

All of the above are selective cuts.

Last edited:
I am currently working on a 20 acre plot through the state. They are very helpful.

Our first step was to go through and remove all Honeysuckle bush and Multi floral rose. Then we started removing and girdleing junk trees. Elm, Maple and anything else that was harmfull to the Oaks and other valuable hardwood. Now we are removing girdled trees and the Honeysuckle will be ongoing. I have learned alot but it is alot of work and firewood.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Troy

Plus, selective cut doesn't give much of an idea. What species do you want to keep? What spacing (basal area) will work best? Do you want to take out small clumps and leave other areas untouched? Thin from above or below? Do a shelterwood cut? What kind of equipment will you need to design for?

All of the above are selective cuts.

This is the kind of stuff I am looking to get educated on. The link that Zogger posted is most helpful and at least gives me an idea of where to start.

:agree2:

In your area, I would also think that there would be a few consulting foresters that could help. Might cost you some, but they work for you.

The biggest thing though, is to decide what you want to manage for. Firewood, some money from a selective cut, wildlife, or a combination of these things and more. That should be the first thing a forester will ask about.

Back