wood/OWB shed options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used one but I've been around them a little and for the money I think they are a good deal. A local company sells them for $895 or $995 installed. I think that unit is 12 X 24. You cant hardly build one for that. All steel construction. No fire risk.
If my boiler was in a different location on my property I would have one over it just like your thinking.

I need to build a roof/shed to cover my firewood and Shaver boiler. I'm thinking 10ft wide and about 25ft long. Has anyone used those prefab steel carport's for this purpose: http://www.diskworks.com/carport/work_sheet_ny_conn.html

I'm sure you get snow there, but don't know how much. The 1st question I would ask the manufaturer is what they are designed for snow load. Anything under 40psf I would pass on. They should work well depending on how much $$$ they cost.

There are a couple of people on here that have them and have some real nice setups with them, I don't remember the names or I would look the pics up for you. I'm looking for one as well, I don't know of anyone around here that sells them but haven't looked to hard yet as it will probably be a summer project.

I would make sure they are rated for the snow loads in our area. The roof doesn't have enough pitch for my liking.

Eric, that's a nice setup, that's almost exactly what I'm wanting to do.

Here is a shed that we have 3 of them. http://www.gmlsindustries.com/buildings/2200.php
One is 24x24 with a 9x18 door, 2 is 24x24 with a 10x18 door , 3 is a 24x48 with a 13x18 door in it. The neat part is that last I knew you could build them and then if you decided later on you could take the end wall out and add more side as long as you want. They are a bolted together shed and these are as tough a shed as I have ever seen. The wild part is that when it snows as soon as it gets warm inside it starts a melt of the roof and next thing you hear is a big swoosh as it slides the snow off. I haven't price one is several years (like about 15) but they were very competitve with a regular wood rafter frame building back then. I don't know if the rise in steel has pushed that price way out of reason but I would definitely recommend these sheds for anyone who wants a tough shed that is all steel.

I've been thinking about a salt box type roof with the 290 in the middle. The wood stacked on one side would be seasoned and ready to burn while the wood on the other side would be green and would be ready for next year. I was figuring out approximately how many chords of wood I would burn so that I knew how much room I would need on either side of the 290 and then build the roof accordingly.

Im in the process of building a greenhouse/wood storage buildng around my CB outdoor wood boiler. I purchased an energy saver to extract heat off the chimney to heat the greenhouse portion. In this way i hope to increase the efficiency of the whole operation...i.e. if the boiler is not exposed to the 30 below nights, it should require less wood. I have it fully framed, and im waiting for steel for the roof. I will post some pictures later.

tim

They used 3 feet long rebar stakes.

But since those photos I have stacked wood in between the post to form walls.
between the post is 5 feet by 7 feet tall. And before you ask.. Of course one stack already fell over, and yes it fell out rather than IN> LOL

Im in the process of building a greenhouse/wood storage buildng around my CB outdoor wood boiler. I purchased an energy saver to extract heat off the chimney to heat the greenhouse portion. In this way i hope to increase the efficiency of the whole operation...i.e. if the boiler is not exposed to the 30 below nights, it should require less wood. I have it fully framed, and im waiting for steel for the roof. I will post some pictures later.

tim

Great idea Tim! I was hoping to eventually build a similar setup.My thinking was if you can keep the wind and extreme cold away from the boiler,it will be able to hold the heat much better,and use less wood. As you noted the heat going up the chimney is free anyway.The setup will also season your wood quicker,and keep it dry and ready even in damp weather.The only thing id be concerned about is during reloading,the smoke that will lfill your greenhouse,if its too tight,you will have to work quickly if you want to be able to breathe while reloading.All the OWBS ive seen smoke heavy out the door when opening it for a few seconds,at the minimum.Plan your ceiling higher or a place for it to go,maybe a big kitchen exhaust fan right over the door with a direct vent,turn it on as you open the door,if you have a real problem with the smoke.

I need to build a roof/shed to cover my firewood and Shaver boiler. I'm thinking 10ft wide and about 25ft long. Has anyone used those prefab steel carport's for this purpose: http://www.diskworks.com/carport/work_sheet_ny_conn.html

Fletcher, I am in the process of putting up a hoop style building from a company called Farmtek. They have a website. Mine is going is 20x36 with enclosed ends (they call it a pony wall building. Check it out. They are very reasonable and pretty easy to put up and I thought a little more durable than those car port things (at least for wood).

Thanks. Yes, the blow back smoke is an issue. This greenhouse/wood storage building is framed in, but not insulated. I plan on keeping the bulk of the OWB in the heated/greenhouse portion with the exception of the OWB feeding door. ITs hard to explain, but i will fasten thin metal studs to the door side of the OWB to keep the mass of the OWB on the insulated side of the greenhouse. While it woudl be nice to capture the heat coming off the door itself, i dont want to have to go through a series of doors to fill er up...or lose heat from the greenhouse.

so most of the blowback smoke should have a place to exit throught the woodshed portion..which is fairly open on the walls. I have looked at those exhaousto chimney draft induceers to help with the blowback and also help get wet wood burning occasionally..but they are expensive.

The fire wood will not be heated or put in the greenhouse portion, it is in separate area outside the thermal envelope but still under the roof. I hope to grow some food in the greenhouse and maybe have a place to sharpen saws and tune skiis...( I dont have a real garage, which is part of the reason for the investment)

I will post some photos and and maybe the plans for it later, thanks for the comments!

I built this on the back side of the storage building...around $360 for everything...the shed faces east, building helps keep the direct wind off of the boiler.

Back