wood pile protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, dang....

Hey zogger:
When my children were young I never had problems with snakes. I milked a cow twice a day, and had plenty of stray cats. They'd come within 6-8 feet of me and I'd squirt milk in their faces. My daughter was the only one they'd trust.

But since the kids have left I don't have dogs, cats, turkeys, or blue geese, so the snakes come. My chickens are Bantams. The snakes cannot swallow them, but strangle them in frustration I guess. One summer night I walked into the barn and found two large rat snakes on the roost. One had a beautiful half grown bantam as far in his mouth as he could get it. I don't think he could ever have swallowed it, but it was dead, and so went he with a load of birdshot. I don't bother the rat snakes in my wood pile, as they keep the copperheads at bay. But once they're in the barn they gotta go quick.
Sage

I just ain't never seen it. I mean, shazzam..ya, pretty dumb snake then... I got white rocks, barred rocks and RRs now so they are all good size (although my flock size is tiny now, used to have over a hundred, now just a dozen). I *had* some jersey giants but they were the flyingest chickens and made it over the eight foot fence I built so oh well. They got et, most likely by the coyotes....

My barn cats only like me, they won't even let my girlfriend pet them any. House cats different story, they are much tamer.

It's funny but all the cats know their turf and have predictable habits. A few actually hang out in the coop or immediate area,(none ever bothered the cluckers, but all of them would sit and stare at the quail..I no longer raise quail...) some only in the barn, some only around the house, some go free ranging in the woods and only come out when I am out there. Look down, here comes one over for a pet. Thirty seconds later they sneak off go hunting again. I am amazed they can last for a few years real wild like that, but some have. I get pretty sad when they eventually disappear for good though, some of them have been real nice cats, but I also figger they got real nice cat-lives while they are around. Best of both worlds for them, some human companionship, and mostly getting to be free cats.

I know I'll never run out, people just dump animals off in the country all the time.

Ha! I give em just enough dry food to keep 'em hanging around, but not so much they get lazy about doing their rat hunting jobs...

Kinda fun too, we got seven dogs now and a few of the cats will tag along and go for our walks. I got one cat that *swims*. voluntarily. She so much wants to be around that if I cross the creek and she can't find some rocks to jump to, to get across, she'll just suck it up and wade in and swim across. I've tried a few times to get some pics, eventually I'll catch her doing it with a clear enough shot to prove it. The shots I have managed to grab are just too blurry to see it. About bowled me over first time I saw it happen. I'll stop and sit on a stump for five minutes here and there and that's all she wants, that five minutes of petting and sitting on my lap then.

Snakes in the woodpile, yes! Got one like that, a king snake, I've seen him three years running now, another one lives in and under and around the little rock pool in the greenhouse.

GF freaked out first time she saw them snakes, I mean they are big, but I told her "you can have those guys or rats and copperheads..your choice". So the king snakes stay.

man, I saw one about..hmm...lemme see... in around 2002, back when we lived further up in the mountains a few counties over. Another king snake. It was crossing a normal 15 foot wide dirt road and was 2/3rds that in length! I saw it while driving and hit the skids so I wouldn't run it over and got out and looked at it,. biggest dang wild snake I ever saw. Normally around here they are like four to seven feet, five to six foot is most common for "big", that one had to be around ten foot long as it was well over half the distance wide that road was. I looked it up and apparently that is off the charts giant size, well over any official recorded maximum length.

Double dang, you start to get older and you just wish you had some pics of some of the goofy/oddball/unusual stuff you have seen in your life....

Don't know if the pictures took but these came out of my wood shed one spring , one day apart.:msp_scared:

How to look real stupid

well dang. just when i get to feelin i've heard it all. good to know bout the .22 birdshot. where do you get it? talk about old dogs and new tricks. always say if i learned something i've had a successful day. thanks much.

Do not get the 22 birdshot mixed in with regular loads of 22. It does not work real well when trying real hard to sight in a rifle with birdshot at 50 yds and all you see are a bunch of small holes. The looking stupid part is when someone else is looking through the spotting scope.:redface: (even though he sneaked the shot into the gun for you).

They used to make a smooth bored 22 just for shooting bird shot. Don't ask me the brand. My freinds dad had one when I was a kid. We used to geyt real good at shooting bumble bees and dragon flys with it.

I believe Stevens made a smooth bore 22. If I ain't mistaken I remember seeing an actual "snake shot" ammo. Don't remember if it was for a 22 or not. I wonder what the difference would be, compared to "bird shot"?

When I head to my pile to split, I sneak-up, and look real carefully.

Last year a friend of mine killed a large timber rattler out by his shed. He drug the snake down around to the basement and layed it on the ground awhile, so I could look at it before taking it in to skin.. Next day, he called and said he just killed another one. It was laying right where he dropped the other one for us to look at.
It must of followed the scent of the other one, is my only guess..

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE, GUYS !!

yep. and weather's warming up. them snooks gonna be out and about. make noise and they'll generally try to avoid you. but always remember they're partially blind when they shed; then they just strike at sound.

Back