Wood pile tarps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all.

I was reading an artice on tyvek house wrap. Its purpose is to let moisture out but not in. I was thinking becides the cost vs a reg tarp,wouldn't it be a good material to cover my wood piles with. Maybe things would dry a little faster. Does anyone use it?

It would probably work pretty well. I have used water and ice guard (for roofing) on my stacks this year. I had more than a roll left over from a few jobs last summer so the price was perfect.

Hello all.

I was reading an artice on tyvek house wrap. Its purpose is to let moisture out but not in. I was thinking becides the cost vs a reg tarp,wouldn't it be a good material to cover my wood piles with. Maybe things would dry a little faster. Does anyone use it?

Go by your local lumber yard and ask them for the material they use to cover lumber for shipping . It's similar to tyvek ,and it's usually cheap ( free) . They just thow it away when they get a shipment in .

I use

Usually when it rains we just stand out there with umbrellas. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I don't cover mine at all except for the current stack i am pulling from.

Hello all.

Tyvek does let water threw. It is made as a moister barier rather than a waterproof tarp. Im sure it would help keep wood some what dry but I wouldnt let water puddle up on it. water will leach threw.

I had good luck with an old piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. It was long enough to cover 2 cords but still left the sides open. It lasted for years, its waterproof, and best of all it was free.

i havent checked yet,one of my farming pubs.suggested checking biilboard companies for old billboard signs.??? iuse rubber roofing buts it kinda heavy.

Rubber is heavy, but it catches the sun and gets so hot, I think it is about the best for covering stacks

I like the I/O carpet idea, and the rubber would get so hot it couldn't do anything but dry.

Currently I use old pieces of silage bag plastic. It is more than wide enough to cover four rows. It does pretty good but occasionally the wind will pull it off. I think I leave it hang down the side to far, I have been stapling it to the wood. I need it start rolling it up so it doesn't hang down the side so far. It is pretty tough stuff, the wind will not rip it to shreds like the cheap tarps will.

I would like to find something a little heavier like the rubber idea.

I got some rubber roofing that was 7' wide and 80' long (used) and it works good on wood piles, but I had to cut into 10' pieces so I could handle it better.

I never covered a pile of wood in my life. I think letting the sun get at it more than makes up for the rain falling on it. Air circulation dries wood which would be slowed down by a tarp as far as I can see. It blows so hard here you would have to put enough weight on a tarp to collapse the pile anyway.

But what do I know?

Hello,
I have a friend that works in the boating industry and he gets me the big pieces of shrink wrap that they use to cover and winterize sailboats. When they strip off the covers in the Spring, he keeps them for me. Last month when he came to visit, he brought some of the new material on a roll. It works real well for wood piles !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

I never covered a pile of wood in my life. I think letting the sun get at it more than makes up for the rain falling on it. Air circulation dries wood which would be slowed down by a tarp as far as I can see. It blows so hard here you would have to put enough weight on a tarp to collapse the pile anyway.

But what do I know?

Different area, different climate.

I split, and stack, leaving the stacks uncovered for 1 to 2 years (depending on wood species). Then, I top cover with used billboard material. I don't have the high wind, but I do get the wet/raining winter weather sometimes. There is no wood shed on my property. What I do works great.... for me.

But what do I know? :yoyo:

I'm with the cow on this, I never cover a woodpile either. I think the rain, sun, wind, cycles make it dry faster. I don't stack it either, just throw it in a big pile in a hedgerow where the air gets to it.

But what do I know?

You're not off base Mr cow, I let mine sit out all summer in the elements and get tanned up, then it hits the woodshed in the fall. The more you cover it, the more moisture stays in it. :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back