Wood pile tarps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with the cow on this, I never cover a woodpile either. I think the rain, sun, wind, cycles make it dry faster. I don't stack it either, just throw it in a big pile in a hedgerow where the air gets to it.

I only cover up in the winter time. It is constantly raining or snowing here in the winter time so I think it is worth the time to cover it. Now during the warmer months, I will leave it uncovered.

Good luck buying tyvek, it comes in a 150' foot roll and costs around a hundred bucks. I think I'll let it rain on my firewood. :D

COW,,You need to find a truck load of beer pissin' midgets to hold the tarps down,,other than the cost of cheep beer, and the smell of piss, I think it would work great. I herd you Cunukistanians have lots-o-beer pissin' midgets,,

but what do I know??

Last edited:
COW,,You need to find a truck load of beer pissin' midgets to hold the tarps down,,other than the cost of cheep beer, and the smell of piss, I think it would work great. I herd you Cunukistanians have lots-o-beer pissin' midgets,,

but what do I know??

Sounds plausible :)

I would only cover in the winter, but at my house my wood stacks get no sun. If it rains on them, it takes forever to dry back out. I only cover the tops now. I used to use a thin sheet of plywood painted black. Then I got the idea of EPDM from someone and haven't turned back. :msp_thumbup:

I'm in the always cover group.
My cover is clear poly and just low enough on the stack to shed the bulk of rain.
Best of both for me i think since i get all the sun and 99% the air of an open stack but never get moisture from a rain on my stacks of wood.

A few days of rain or snow when you want to burn wood sucks with an uncovered stack.

if you take all the bark that gets chipped up ,and spread it across the top ,it acts like a tarp and is free ,plus your wood gets stacked bark side up as a bonus :msp_thumbup:

At work, we get 300gal. poly drum-skids.

They measure about 40x48x40 high. When they are empty, they used to crush 'em with the loader. Now, I take them apart -

2x upper cross members held on with (4) T-27 Torx, coarse threaded screws

Use the fork-lift/high-lo to bring 'em in the shop

Keep the forks on the lower "skid" portion, and use the chain hoist to lift the poly "drum" out of the "skid" - they have a center lift-point molded into it.

Keeping the x-members + hardware, I can get 2 in the bed of the truck and takem home

Get about a Rick (-) in 'em - all contained; won't fall all over the place.

Put some used tin or clear poly "roof" on top for the snow/rain season (salvaged/scavenged)

Not too "unsightly" to the S.O. (MOST important part!)

BONUS - can be moved around/closer to house-out building with fork attachment to your bucket/3 pt. hitch/S.Steer

I've got wood that's been under a tarp for 5 years and is in great condition. I noodled up some dead elm a few weeks ago, some of it is under a tarp and some is stacked along the house under the eaves. The wood under the tarp is checked, the wood under the eaves is damp.

Just think how much air would move through a room in the winter with a window cracked open on opposite sides of the room. It's a bit of a stretch to say there's no air movement under a tarp. I think the problem most people have with tarps is they deal with crummy tarps that don't keep the water out in the first place.

atlarge54,

I agree if the tarp is just to shed rain then i think it's a win win.
IMO a rain guard is a no brainer for wood you spent so long in getting dry in the first place.

At work, we get 300gal. poly drum-skids.

They measure about 40x48x40 high. When they are empty, they used to crush 'em with the loader. Now, I take them apart -

2x upper cross members held on with (4) T-27 Torx, coarse threaded screws

Use the fork-lift/high-lo to bring 'em in the shop

Keep the forks on the lower "skid" portion, and use the chain hoist to lift the poly "drum" out of the "skid" - they have a center lift-point molded into it.

Keeping the x-members + hardware, I can get 2 in the bed of the truck and takem home

Get about a Rick (-) in 'em - all contained; won't fall all over the place.

Put some used tin or clear poly "roof" on top for the snow/rain season (salvaged/scavenged)

Not too "unsightly" to the S.O. (MOST important part!)

BONUS - can be moved around/closer to house-out building with fork attachment to your bucket/3 pt. hitch/S.Steer

Those sound great! Got any pics? Also, can you think of anything to do with the drums, or are they like contaminated with chemical residue, or what?

I use the covers from the lumber yard for several years now. In fact I have several on a few piles of wood right now because we are suppose to have more snow tomorrow. I also use them on the log splitter. I put the black side facing so the sun will heat up the wood. These are nothing like tyvek and more like a plastic tarp even tho they feel like the tyvek material. These do not breath like first thought. Manards sells a aftermarket brand like tyvek. Keep in mind that tyvek is suppose to be covered within 6 months. I have in on our new addition for a year now and I can see how the sun is starting to affect it. Those free lumber covers are the way to go. I even use them between my rows in the garden.. Some will be 16 feet long and 8 ft wide. They also work good to put under the wood piles. Like nixon wrote... The price is right.

Go by your local lumber yard and ask them for the material they use to cover lumber for shipping . It's similar to tyvek ,and it's usually cheap ( free) . They just thow it away when they get a shipment in .

wet wood burns fine View attachment 282087View attachment 282089

20 min in a hot fire its pretty dry according to my meter ...........

I agree with you on the wet wood burns fine as long as its just rain water wet wood. Green wet wood sucks. I dont think you need to cover wood if you can bring at least 2 days worth of wood in the house. By the time you get to the wood its dry from the heat from stove. I keep about a weeks worth by stove and after every two days fill it back up and its always dry when it goes threw the door. But what do I no.:msp_tongue:

I agree with you on the wet wood burns fine as long as its just rain water wet wood. Green wet wood sucks. I dont think you need to cover wood if you can bring at least 2 days worth of wood in the house. By the time you get to the wood its dry from the heat from stove. I keep about a weeks worth by stove and after every two days fill it back up and its always dry when it goes threw the door. But what do I no.:msp_tongue:

You can't post here. You make too much sense.

You would think some of these clowns are burning sponges, not wood.

Tyvek looks pretty crappy, and doesn't do what it was designed to, after flapping around in the wind for a month. Any knock-off brand is worse.

Anytime you cover something, you will have condensation. Do you tarpers run out every morning and pull the tarps off to let that dry out? Didn't think so.

I could see covering it if a big snow or rain was coming before I moved it into the house. Grandma never did it, she said it was the only source of humidity in her house during the winter, other than dish/laundry water or rising bread.

But what do I no.

Latest posts

Back