wood piles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have about 6-8 cords I will not be able to split until spring. I have this just piled in the woods. Any issues with this? Does anyone store their wood this way or better recommendations..... I will cover with a tarp.

I have plenty for this winter already cut and split. this is stacked off the ground.

I wouldn't worry about it one bit. I frequently cut a tree and then split and stack it right there. I'll go back a year later and collect it for delivery.

I used to store in my woods too. Depends on the type of wood as to weather it will stay good or not. I think maple is one of the worst to take on rot. Some wood will resist for years. Covered my not be the best especially if its green wood. If you are not using it I believe its better to season in the open air and the rain and snow won't be a problem. One thing is at least in the winter with the leaves off more drying will occur. In the summer the woods is not a good place. Moisture hangs around under the canopy.

i dropped and cut up an ash tree in the spring and left it on the ground until recently. when i went back, i caught it just in time...it was beginning to get soaked and rotting.

you can leave it there, but keep them off the ground if possible. stack them on branches if you have to. i wouldn't worry about covering it, just don't let it sit on the ground.

I agree with the general concensus. It will be fine to keep it there over the winter. The biggest risk is if your cache is discovered.

If it is cut to length so much the better for drying. In Early Spring get it in split it and stack it. Then you can admire your handy work all Summer long while you are working on 2010-2011's wood harvest. A Winter in the woods won't hurt it enough to worry about.

Back