wood score with possible poison ivy - advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zogger,

What do you think that first picture is?
At first glance easy to mistake for poison ivy, but a good check on the close up and who knows what it is.

Certainly could be poison ivy, but would be better to see more examples of it and what it looks like growing. I have seen it from a smooth edge leaf like the pic to quite rough. Perhaps another sort of ivy, but it doesn't look like english ivy to me.

The box elder here..ya, sorta close looking to poison ivy, but..subtle differences..but...have to see it up close, pics don't work for me that well IDing stuff, I need that 3d effect to see textures better. I am mostly color blind so I have to concentrate on shape and textures more.

They're all climbers, the locust and ash was crawling with them from trunk to top, but strangely enough there were 3 or 4 maples and the vines hadn't touched them.

I agree on the boxelder shape of a typical poison ivy leaf, from the pics I've seen online. But unless boxelder crawls 60 feet in vine form, I've got something else on my hands.

I'll try to get some pics of the vines on the actual trees this week. Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to start another post about the locust we scored.

They're all climbers, the locust and ash was crawling with them from trunk to top, but strangely enough there were 3 or 4 maples and the vines hadn't touched them.

I agree on the boxelder shape of a typical poison ivy leaf, from the pics I've seen online. But unless boxelder crawls 60 feet in vine form, I've got something else on my hands.

I'll try to get some pics of the vines on the actual trees this week. Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to start another post about the locust we scored.

Well, vines in a tree, ya, that three leafed specimen was poison ivy. Any of the thicker vines should be very "hairy" in appearance where they attach to the trunk.

You can try to rip them out green like that, but they stick pretty well until they have been cut at the base and allowed to completely dry out.

It will suck to get that all bucked up and not get poison ivy, then it will still be all over the wood.

This is what kept me out of arborist tree work down here, every other big yard tree seems to have it and the HOs don't seem to care to kill it off before work is done. I like saws, I can climb well, I could have learned the rigging, but...couldn't see exisiting in a state of perpetual itch forever either. I have turned down two different good offers for work in the past because of this. here, just cutting firewood, i can take my time and kill the vines first.

Heck, the huge oak in the front yard here, when we moved in was crawling with the stuff. Any of the previous tenants didn't care, some of those vines were huge, who knows, maybe decades old. I spent a year and a half waiting for them to dry after cutting them off at the base and spraying fresh little runners, then tediously ripped them all out of that tree once they were dry enough and most of the long vines would come down intact with a little persuasion.

I have used something I got at the drug store called Ivarest a couple of times when working with posin ivy. It comes in a pump bottle, it comes out like foam, you lather up the exposed parts of your body, and it is supposed to keep you from getting it. You can put it on before you go in, or shortly after being exposed to the stuff. It has worked for me. I used to get posin ivy as a kid playing in the woods 2 or 3 times ever summer. It would really eat me up. It is supposed to work on Poisen Ivy, oak, or sumac.

Yep, the first pic was Poison Ivy. I used to get it pretty bad. Once when I was in college I took a prescription grade oral medication. It was Poison Ivy resin in a corn oil solution. It worked very well, till they took it of the market. It had bad side effects. If you took too much and it didn't all get digested, as stated above, you would get a very bad rash where it makes it's exit. I didn't have that problem. When cleaning up after contact. The skin irritant is a thin oil about the consistency of 10 weight motor oil. Any good soap, lots of it, will take the oil off. I use dish detergent because it's made to cut grease and oil. I use HOT water for two reasons. The first is hot water helps to cut the oil. the second I found out by accident. I take hot showers. When the hot water hit the broken out areas it had a strange sensation, not hurt, not itch, but you knew it was there. After the hot shower it wouldn't itch for a long time. Later I found out that the hot water releases the "Histamine" in the skin. That's what causes the itching sensation. It takes the body about 8 hours to build that Histamine back up. If you get it on both forearms, run one arm under hot water, don't scald yourself, just as hot as you can take. Only takes 10 seconds or so. You'll see the difference. Good luck, Joe.

I don't know about that first picture. It could easily vary somewhat from one place to another but if I found that one here I wouldn't worry about it. Ours looks almost exactly like box elder and always has a little red on the leaf stem. The second pic of course is virginia creeper. Use caution until you know.

I personally have to stay away from that crap. I have been in the hospital a few times with it in my bloodstream. When it gets to your eyes and throat you just want to stick a 12 gauge in you mouth! My wife can roll in it and not even get an itch though. I usually get her to pull the vines off trees for me :msp_thumbup:

sw18x,

If vines from picture 1 are going 60ft up the tree it's poison ivy.
Your poison ivy is just an odd looking beast, not unusual for poison ivy to take up some strange forms and leaf shapes though.

zogger,

My thoughts exactly on pic 1, is it isn't it? sure looked like it but sure looked like it's not also.
Guess when we see the vine on the tree it will be much easier to tell.
Going up the tree though sure limits what it can be.

I'd put some money on the first pic being poison ivy, second is Virginia creeper. I get it 3 or 4 times a year, sometimes in this business you just can't avoid it. I don't get it bad, usually just some on my arms. Had it one time on my arm and it was itchier than normal. Happened to be walking in the garage and there laid a wire brush on the workbench. Had me one good scratching that day. Burned like hell after I was done but sure felt good when I was doing it.

The poison stuff around here, ivy and oak, have tendrils on the bigger sections of the vine. If it's a furry-looking vine you need to be careful.
My cousin has a stand of black locust that he wants removed. I've never seen PI so thick in my life. About an acre of good firewood too. :msp_sad: He's about thirty miles from me, so I didn't feel too bad about turning him down. I'm itching just thinking about it. Maybe I'll get out there this winter and section off the bases of the vines for later. Big maybe.

The poison stuff around here, ivy and oak, have tendrils on the bigger sections of the vine. If it's a furry-looking vine you need to be careful.
My cousin has a stand of black locust that he wants removed. I've never seen PI so thick in my life. About an acre of good firewood too. :msp_sad: He's about thirty miles from me, so I didn't feel too bad about turning him down. I'm itching just thinking about it. Maybe I'll get out there this winter and section off the bases of the vines for later. Big maybe.

Good alternative if the job will wait. I frequently go out ahead and cut the vines at the base but remember as long as there is moisture in the vine and you cut it, the wood chips will do a number on you if contacted. I commonly find 2" diameter vines and have cut some up to 3 1/2". Those make some chips fly and a chain saw is out of the question for me so I use a hand saw on the big vines and certainly clean the blade afterwards.

A problem we have here is the poison ivy grow in with a climbing vine called Carolina Creeper. It's a five leaf plant. So to separate or the find the two when they growing together is a problem. I don't like killing something that's not a problem. But sometimes I get um both. I have a real problem with the poison ivy. Like zogger says, I cut the stuff at the base, spray it and let it hang 2 years and pull it out of the tree best I can. I'm forever spraying with 2-4-D killing that stuff.

Do it as soon as possible, let the summer heat get to that vine and it will dry up fast, plus not go to seed. If you cut the vine section out, below and above where your felling cuts will be that is a plus as well. Before you fell, just try to yank as much of the vine out of the tree as you can. Once dry, they yank out pretty easy. You won't get every single bit of it, but a surprisingly large amount.

Green, nope, sticks to the bark too much.. although the dried vine still has poison ivy oil in it, it is much less..a word..reactive I have found when dealing with it. Much more bettah once the leaves have shriveled up and fallen off or close to it.. Plus you can go in now and spray around the ground to killl it off there as well, most spray on the leaf surface you can get. A sharp axe is all you need to knock those sections out. Cut, cut, edge under the section, peel it out.

If you can do it, I would broadcast mass spray first now, go back later in the winter and section it out, and you could try then on yanking the vines on some test trees. If they come out easy then, there ya go, yank, get to cutting your wood.

Do you have access to a tractor and large sprayer? Doing an acre doesn't take long at all as long as you have room to drive around. I did around a six acre field two weeks ago in an hour and a half, and I was putzing in low range to get good coverage.

Update:

So much for long sleeves and pants. It took a few days but I broke out with 5 or 6 more small patches, all in areas that my clothes covered. My first patch got pretty bad running up my forearm. I'll be leaving the rest of that wood right where it is, thank you. Thinking back to all those chips and dust flying, I'm just glad I didn't break out worse. Poison ivy 100%. Haven't talked to my buddy yet, part of me hopes he doesn't get it but the itchy part hopes he gets it at least as bad as I did!

Herbicides and a spray suit

I would treat the entire site to a nice dosage of herbicides if possible and wait till every last PI plant has died off if possible...

If not I would suggest that you'd wear a chemical or painters spray suit and rubber boots and rubber chemical gloves. You might even want to duct tape the sleeves to make sure none of the sap or hairs contact your skin. Hell a full face mask may be a good idea as well!

sw18x,

If your showing signs of the itchathon then your best plan is to depart from the wood.
I bet the cutting itself is why your getting it under clothing, all those chips and dust flying around find any tiny opening and clothing only becomes resistant but not a wonderful barrier.
If your sweating pretty bad and have ivy oil on your clothes that's another entry point for the oil.

When I cut poison ivy beasts it's coveralls, gloves full face protection and dust mask.
Then as soon as I'm done cutting first chance it's a removal of everything that probably came in contact with ivy, then as soon as I'm home a cool shower with lots of soap and a double wash of everything I was wearing in a separate load.
I'm lucky though no reaction to ivy at all, but I have had a few arborist friends have to leave the trade after decades of cutting and one day they went from immune to not even able to get near it.

Biggest thing IMO to avoid a problem with Ivy is don't scratch and reactions stay pretty minimal.
Shower ASAP once you feel itchy, and at the end of the days cutting even if you don't.

Last edited:
I would think if you were allergic to it that a simple tyvek painters suit would be enough to keep everything covered but your hands and face. Hand then could be covered by rubber gloves, wrists sealed with duct tape. Good mask or face shield or both for the face and no more problem and you get the wood. The down side to a painters suit is it will be hot in one!

sw18x,

If your showing signs of the itchathon then your best plan is to depart from the wood.
I bet the cutting itself is why your getting it under clothing, all those chips and dust flying around find any tiny opening and clothing only becomes resistant but not a wonderful barrier.
If your sweating pretty bad and have ivy oil on your clothes that's another entry point for the oil.

When I cut poison ivy beasts it's coveralls, gloves full face protection and dust mask.
Then as soon as I'm done cutting first chance it's a removal of everything that probably came in contact with ivy, then as soon as I'm home a cool shower with lots of soap and a double wash of everything I was wearing in a separate load.
I'm lucky though no reaction to ivy at all, but I have had a few arborist friends have to leave the trade after decades of cutting and one day they went from immune to not even able to get near it.

Biggest thing IMO to avoid a problem with Ivy is don't scratch and reactions stay pretty minimal.
Shower ASAP once you feel itchy, and at the end of the days cutting even if you don't.

That's what happened to me. I went to "could sleep in a bed of the stuff" to can't get away from it fast enough. I don't have how or when that transition was made, I only found out when the bubbles showed up and the itchathon began. I keep a sprayer handy now with 2-4-D in it just for that stuff.

Preston,

Yeah the histamine reaction to poison ivy is weird.
Seems like that first time you get a little itchy from poison ivy is the time to watch out from that point on.

I'm about the same with Ivy, have wandered through it up north in fields of shoulder deep all ivy and nothing happened.
But no point in keep getting exposed to it because one day it gets you sooner or much later.

Have heard some pretty bad horror stories of guys cutting vined logs and getting ivy dust in the lungs and that's a reaction to avoid at all costs.

Bleach is a wonderful thing to nuke ivy, only problem is it nukes everything so you got to be careful what the bleach spray lands on.

Wander around and spray right at the base of each ivy and watch it shrivel in 24 hrs never to return.

Ivy sure is sneaky stuff like sw18x's I would have guessed it wasn't poison ivy.
Have seen it look even less like poison ivy also, so the leafs of 3 rule sure is a good one to follow :)

Last edited:
Back