Wood splitter and conveyor pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
Here is my setup that I just got working. I used to neatly stack the wood, but it is already dry, so I decided to pile it to save time. I have $100 in the conveyor(all new bearings and drive chain and got the motor for free). It runs at idle and stays ahead of me on the splitter. The splitter is homemade from the early 80's(my dad). The wood drops right on the conveyor after splitting and sure saves time. I did two pickup loads in 80 minutes(with the help of my 2 boys--age 11 and 9).

Bama i really like your conveyor.

I would love to get a wood conveyor.

I have a new 5 hp gas motor wating to work !

What was it origionally built for ?:monkey:
thanks David

The conveyor is about a 40 or 50 year old potato or hay bale conveyor. Not sure which one, but it is old. Mayrath is the brand. They don't make the conveyor chain anymore(or for the last 20-30 years), so when that breaks, I am out of luck. But, I don't think that will be an issue for the next 30 years for as much use as I will give it.

The conveyor is about a 40 or 50 year old potato or hay bale conveyor. Not sure which one, but it is old. Mayrath is the brand. They don't make the conveyor chain anymore(or for the last 20-30 years), so when that breaks, I am out of luck. But, I don't think that will be an issue for the next 30 years for as much use as I will give it.

Keep that chain well oiled and you shouldn't have any problems with it... used motor oil works great that lubing the chain.
I would give it a good lubing at the end of the splitting season and before you start the splitting season... and touch it up in between .

bama, you can still get any chain needed for 50+ year old cornpickers, manure spreaders, etc. I've got a catalog from Baum Iron that shows every size & type of chain there is, pintle, sprocket, extended pitch, whatever - They have the sprockets too. The old Central Tractor stores used to have a lot of chain too.

Keep that chain well oiled and you shouldn't have any problems with it... used motor oil works great that lubing the chain.
I would give it a good lubing at the end of the splitting season and before you start the splitting season... and touch it up in between .

That is exactly what I have been using. Might as well put that oil to good use.

bama, you can still get any chain needed for 50+ year old cornpickers, manure spreaders, etc. I've got a catalog from Baum Iron that shows every size & type of chain there is, pintle, sprocket, extended pitch, whatever - They have the sprockets too. The old Central Tractor stores used to have a lot of chain too.

THanks! Never thought I could find parts for that kind of machine. I will do some internet searching and see what I can find for the future.

Here is my setup that I just got working. I used to neatly stack the wood, but it is already dry, so I decided to pile it to save time. I have $100 in the conveyor(all new bearings and drive chain and got the motor for free). It runs at idle and stays ahead of me on the splitter. The splitter is homemade from the early 80's(my dad). The wood drops right on the conveyor after splitting and sure saves time. I did two pickup loads in 80 minutes(with the help of my 2 boys--age 11 and 9).

Does any wood ever get wedged in your elevator?

elevator chain replacement

Dont worry about the chain , mayrath didnt make it to begin with,.. you can get it many different places like tractor supply, the paddles can be made or bought aswell, cabinman

that is the EXACT same conveyor i have, except i have the original clinton engine still running.

does yours have the spring loaded tensioner on the far end???

it is actually a grain elevator. you poured grain in the bottom, and it took it up into the old grain silos on the farm.

idle is perfect on mine. when she jams, she kills the engine.

Does any wood ever get wedged in your elevator?

Never has. I cut it about 16-20" long. Can't keep up to it with the splitter, so it is never too full.

that is the EXACT same conveyor i have, except i have the original clinton engine still running.

does yours have the spring loaded tensioner on the far end???

it is actually a grain elevator. you poured grain in the bottom, and it took it up into the old grain silos on the farm.

idle is perfect on mine. when she jams, she kills the engine.

Still has the tensioner. Interesting about the grain. The oldest thing we used, that I remember are the 7" Versatile augers with the 16 hp. Briggs. We had some 6" augers that were in the trees, but never saw them in use. One even had paddles.

Mine kills right away also if it jams. The chain started to double up and it died right away. Tightened the chain and I was good to go.

I wish I had a Quarter for every bushel of oats and ear corn that I've helped put up over the years.Could'nt retire on it but could take a hell of a nice vacation.Forgot to mention baled hay and straw too.

Last edited:

That should be #55 roller chain. Any farm equipment dealer should have it on stock. That is what mine has, and I always keep a few links on hand.

I oil it every day, and every once in a while, a piece of wood gets crooked, and snaps the chain.

Latest posts

Back