wood splitter oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesrgreat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What oil is used in the hydralic system on a wood splitter? I know there's different weights of hydraulic oil. Should I use a lighter weight since I'm in Iowa? The splitter is a older Speeco with 5hp gas engine on it.
Thanks.

I use automatic transmission fluid in mine.

What is the price of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) compared to a 5-gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid (~$40) and as I recall there are two basic types of ATF which I believe are called Dextron and Micron or something like that - I don't know the difference but I do know that in some cases there are warnings not to use the wrong one - so which is used in a splitter?

I think the oils are changing with technology, most of the hydraulic equipment we have at the city where I work all use 15w-40 motor oil now instead of hydraulic oil or ATF, remember years ago the transfer cases on the 4x4 trucks were gear oil, then went to motor oil and now there all ATF.. Biggest problem we have is matching viscosity with the ambient air temp, 10 weight flows a lot better at zero degrees than 40 weight!!

What is the price of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) compared to a 5-gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid (~$40) and as I recall there are two basic types of ATF which I believe are called Dextron and Micron or something like that - I don't know the difference but I do know that in some cases there are warnings not to use the wrong one - so which is used in a splitter?

I use the dextron in mine,something I neglected to mention my splitter only holds about (1) gallon of oil.I can get that for around 11-12 dollars at any auto parts.

Dexron lll automatic transmission fluid will deliver optimum performance in all temps. If you want to go a step up and cost is not a factor, Dexron VI is a synthetic fluid that will last longer than your splitter ever will! However, the Dexron III is really the way to go.

That makes sense. I have no idea what the difference is between the Dex and Mex ATF, maybe one eats one type of seal and the other eats some other type of seals.

I was hoping you'd say you found a place where ATF was dirt cheap. My splitter holds 5 gallons so it would be nice to know of a less expensive alternative to Auto Zone or Tractor Supply's 5-gallon-bucket stuff.

The nice thing about keeping a gallon jug of hydraulic fluid handy to top off the splitter tank is that if you run out of bar oil for the chain saw the stuff works just great. :chainsaw:

replies to oil

Thanks for the replies. When its below 32 degrees out, the splitter is very, very slow on the cylinder movement. Then after splitting some it gets up to speed finally. I have wondered if a different oil could be used for colder weather. The oil that is in it appears to be thick. Mayber it needs to be changed.??
Thanks.

Last edited:
What oil is used in the hydralic system on a wood splitter? I know there's different weights of hydraulic oil. Should I use a lighter weight since I'm in Iowa? The splitter is a older Speeco with 5hp gas engine on it.
Thanks.

Just fill about half full with plain old cheapo universal Hydro, and add ATF as needed for cold weather. Usually a couple 3-4 quarts is enough to allow it to heat up a smidge quicker. Keeping the tank half full instead of completely full, allows faster warm up in winter. If you Split in the summer, you still have room to add more Universal to increase thermal mass for heat to dissapate into.

You'll find the sweet spot after a season or two.

Once a season and in the fall, and after letting the splitter sit for a day or so, pull the drain plug, and drain off a couple quarts. The water that condenses will settle to the bottom of the tank. If you wish to recover the hydro from there, it's up to you.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back