wood splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kate

Reaction score
I am in the process of reclaiming a fifteen acre woodlot that was heavily damaged by ice storm.I have a Bobcat skid steer and am interested in the inverted splitter attachment.

I'm not sure what an inverted splitter attachment is. Do you mean somthing like this?

http://www.ramsplitter.com/BOBCAT.html

I'd much prefer a small engine powered splitter. That way you can split wood and use the bobcat for other jobs at the same time and you wont have to tote the whole bobcat to every site just to use the splitter.

Do you really want to put all those hours on the Bobcat?

ajc4 said:
I'm not sure what an inverted splitter attachment is. Do you mean somthing like this?

http://www.ramsplitter.com/BOBCAT.html

I'd much prefer a small engine powered splitter. That way you can split wood and use the bobcat for other jobs at the same time and you wont have to tote the whole bobcat to every site just to use the splitter.

I agree, a small Honda powered splitter and use the Bobcat for moving the logs around and then stacking the drying piles,loading your truck,cleaning up.
Seems to me it would be a waste to be putting all those hours on a $3,000 engine plus fuel when a $500 Honda engine would work just as well.

I just picked up a used 24 ton Northern Hydraulic splitter with a new engine. I paid $500 for it. Its in great condition and looks almost brand new. I will build my ultimate log splitter this winter but I couldnt pass up on this deal. I would look around and see whats available in your area. Also check Ebay if you really want the Bobcat mounted splitter. I have seen some decent ones lately. I must agree with everyone else. I would spend about $500 bucks and find a nice used splitter and use your Bobcat for more important jobs.

I have the same one I payed $250 for it and put a new honda on it. It had a 8 hp briggs industrial but it needed some work and I wanted something more reliable. Good choice the northern splitters are one of the best i have used.

Mine now sports a Tecumseh 10 HP engine. I dont know what was on it origanally but this one runs great. I had never heard of Tecumseh before. Apparently they have been building engines for a long time. They are also on almost every brand of equipment around. I split about half a cord today to see what she could do. She was cutting wood sideways! Now thats a splitter.

I wanted to get a tecumseh instead of a honda but they said it was not a good idea for the amount of splitter I was going to be doing. I wantd it because it was half the price of the honda motor. My honda now starts on the first pull since it got about 45 or 50 hours on it. I also got one of thosd inexpensive briggs and stratton hour meters to put on it so I could maintain it better. The 24 ton splitter from northern had a 8 hp briggs indsturail plus motor on it they are also very rock solid motors. The only thing is that it was the same price as the honda motor and the honda was in stock.

Well I broke my splitter yesterday. LOL. I was showing the power it had to my son by cutting a piece of wood in two (sideways). The oil filter blew off and I had about 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid cover my leg and boots plus soaked the ground. I shut her down and thought the filter just came off. then when I started to look at it you could see the threads were still inside the filter. The filter holder is what failed. You could see on the filter that it had a big dent in it from something hitting it before. That must have put a hairline fracture in the threads and when she came under all that extra pressure she failed. I am actually glad she failed now since my splitting season is over. The part is $12.99 from Northertools.com and comes with a new 10 micron filter. I was going to replace the filter anyway so my actual fix cost is about $6.00. I also noticed that the auto return was not working on the hydraulic cylinder. Upon further inspection I found that they (origanal owners) connected the hoses wrong. So instead of an auto return it had a auto forward if you pushed the handle far enough (Can you say dangerous). That problem has been fixed and I will also order a new handle for the valve. This one is a bit sloppy and has been fixed before (well not really). I'm just going to order a new hanlde for $11.99 also from Northerntools.com. Other than that and a complete change of all fluids it will be like new again.

I like the idea of the hour meter. I found one last night that I will install on my homebuilt splitter.

Log splitters

Heres some pics of my logs splitters this have split some wood. The honda motor runs great now it has about 50 hours on it (its slow this year). The black one has about 4000 hours on it. Its getting to show its age it was made in 1983 second or third motor I can't remember which though. I am thinking about putting a new one on it but it is being a slow year and I just put a new one on my other spliter so its going to have to wait.

Wesco, you should look into that blown filter. Filters should be in the return line, seeing almost no pressure. Yours is either in the wrong line (you had other hookup errors), or something downstream is plugged. I'd sure figure this out before operating again.
Wilson

The log mauler is good for really big logs (circumfrence), but can you really see what's happening being so far from the log? There were huge rounds at the Paul Bunyan Festival and the inverted skidsteer splitter made short work of them, however, a good vertical/horizontal logsplitter such as Iron & Oak is a good peice of equipment to have and has a fairly high resale value.

Back