Wood Stack Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a good question. Where are everyone getting there pallets from?
Getting them free or purchase?

Found an auction for a 20 or so yesterday. But didn't get there in time to bid. They went for $30. Wish I would have gotten there earlier.

WOW im in the wrong business. We give them away at the plant I work at by the semi truck load. I have several my real wood pile is sitting on that are 10' and 12' long, all free. Wanna buy some??

Here's a good question. Where are everyone getting there pallets from?
Getting them free or purchase?

Found an auction for a 20 or so yesterday. But didn't get there in time to bid. They went for $30. Wish I would have gotten there earlier.
[/QUOTE]

Go to your local lumberyard or masonry supply store. They will usually just give them to you if they didn't have to pay a deposit on them. Another option is to ask a contractor who does a lot of roofs, as shingles come on a pallet they ususally just throw them away.

Last edited:
Last year the wood was stacked in rows with the wife and kids helping. They complained the whole time about it being a pain to stack it without the row leaning or falling over.

This year we stacked the wood in a circular/cylinder shape and so far no complaints or tipping piles from my helpers.

The pile in the picture is 5ft tall and 10ft in diameter. Rough calculation on the amount of wood in the pile so far is 9.4 face cords. Looking to top the pile off with another foot or two of wood. I've got enough split wood to start another pile, so we'll see how this circular stacking holds up through the season.

Here are some pictures of mine...

2 stacks, roughly 65' long and 5' high...

5-24-09050.jpg

4-26-09051.jpg

Still working on the second one and should probably start a 3rd soon.

Nice stacks of wood. You guys have too much time.:jawdrop:

I hear ya, mine looks the same as it did a couple months ago. Need to finish splitting about 1/2 cord and then start working on rebuilding the woodshed so I can fill it this winter. 8x32 but the roof is totally shot, just gonna put some tin on top, and maybe a tarp system for the sides. I'll start a post on it when I get going on it.

Steve

I have (so far) a total of 3 stacks like this:

P1010028.jpg

Each stack is roughly 12' long x 3' wide x 4' tall (splits are roughly 18", double rows on each pallet). We are running a little behind getting the rest of our wood split/stacked because hubby's been in the hospital twice since April but we are getting back on track this week. (Thanks going out to a member on this list who helped noodle up some big maple rounds! :clap: ) For winter storage I'm planning on spanning the racks with pallets on top and tarps attached to them. The tops will be tipped a bit for allow for drainage.

We have a friend, whom I call my "Pallet Fairy", who delivers pallets at no cost to us when we need them. Also, you can find pallets fairly often on Craig's List. I personally like the 40" x 48" size for our 18" splits - gives me a little space between the double rows to dump the odd ball sizes/cut offs.

Edit: Oops! Forgot to say: I used to 'free stack' but with 5 grandchildren under the age of 3-1/2 running around here at times, I find the pallet storage method much more sturdy.

Shari

Last edited:
Great pictures! It's nice to see straight, neat stacks of split wood. Lets you know that there's been work accomplished, and a good feeling knowing you won't go cold that winter.

I'm debating where to start my new stacks of wood. Do you want it protected from a certain direction? Do you want it facing a certain way? Is it not good to stack it inside a lean-to or enclosed building? What about stacking it to the side of a building?

Hope you can give me some pointers. It looks like everyone has there own way of doing it.

Here's the result of the season's trial run of the splitter at a friend's.

attachment.php

Here's about a week ago. (sorry about the pictures, the camera's "dusk" setting is touchy) It's all stacked on pallets and this is about 1/3 of the wood they usually get for a season.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Great pictures! It's nice to see straight, neat stacks of split wood. Lets you know that there's been work accomplished, and a good feeling knowing you won't go cold that winter.

I'm debating where to start my new stacks of wood. Do you want it protected from a certain direction? Do you want it facing a certain way? Is it not good to stack it inside a lean-to or enclosed building? What about stacking it to the side of a building?

Hope you can give me some pointers. It looks like everyone has there own way of doing it.

I made the mistake of stacking my wood next to my shed last year. When it would warm up a little the snow on the shed's roof would melt and then re-freeze on the wood pile. I should have taken a picture. It was 16"X21'LX5'H of solid ice covered wood. It took forever to thaw. This year I am in the process of pouring a concrete pad near the OWB so I can put the shed and my wood stacks on it. I also plan on building a slant roof shelter over the wood so I don't have the same problems with ice.

I store my wood near the side property line which runs north to south. I end up angling the wood on a 45 to the property line which faces the wood to the southwest. Due to all of the trees on the property my stacks get the most direct sunlight (1:00-sunset) that they can get positioned like this. I use free pallets as well to stack the wood on. I guess I'm lucky to live in an area where local businesses put them out by the curb for people to take. This time of the year they are everywhere. In the winter you have a hard time finding any. Since I've been clearing trees to pour the pad I save the nice straight poplars and cut them in about 8' lengths, use the post hole digger and drop them in the ground for the vertical supports. I also make sure to leave a couple of feet in between stacks to allow the wind to aid in the wood drying process. Last year I didn't measure between the posts and only have a rough idea of how much wood I burned. This year everything is measured out in face cords so I can keep better track of the wood consumption.

Halfway done for winter...Ready for it to cool off so I can get back to work..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Treevet.............I like your splitter & conveyor. I'm planning to split today after an oil change [TW6]. Only wish I had a conveyor. :cry:

Latest posts

Back