Wood Stacking Idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stack wood pretty much like your first picture. Then stack ends up being 8' deep, 20ish' long and about 5' high. Only the corners are criscrossed. I stack on pallets as well. I've found that if you taper everything in toward the center slightly it holds very well. If you make the ends or sides too vertical then the stack tends to move. If everything is leaning toward the middle it seems much more sturdy.

When looking at any two sides you want //////l\\\\\ not llllllllllllllllll.

Last edited:
I pull from one side of the stack heading toward the center. In the spring I replace the wood that I use and in the fall I start pulling from the other side.

I stack wood pretty much like your first picture. Then stack ends up being 8' deep, 20ish' long and about 5' high. Only the corners are criscrossed. I stack on pallets as well. I've found that if you taper everything in toward the center slightly it holds very well. If you make the ends or sides too vertical then the stack tends to move. If everything is leaning toward the middle it seems much more sturdy.

Excellent text and graphics! That's exactly how I have done it for years. It was only until this year that I decided to take a shot at the spiral stack. I may get burned (no pun intended), but a change of pace is needed sometimes.

One thing I have noticed is that 7' high is not a problem wiith this idea. You could go even higher--as high as you can reach--because of the inward lean that is possible.

I screwed up on my last stack and the dang thing got the leans. I am going to add another pallet on that string and lean against it now.

I did this at our last house. I put the wood on pallets that were on the concrete patio. I stacked about 4 cords this way. The stack ended up being bou 6 foot tall. The stack wasn't as largecas what you are proposing but the idea was thevsame. It was very stable and I brought the height down evenly as I used the wood to be sure it didn't fall.

If you do this be sure the wood is seasoned. The splits in the middle don't see much wind or sun.

Do you mean like this.
001-17.jpg

I criss cross the side that I start my rows on and then finish with criss crossing the corners and then filling it in.
003-13.jpg

Last edited:
That's It

9 rows or 3 pallets, I do something different every year, this year I kept it simple.
That's exactly what I thought about doing until the spiral idea dawned on me. Glad to see that it would have worked. I may still use that on a second stack that I may need if my supply grows enough.

So far the spiral stack is working. Pics are in progress. I have two cords stacked and it's getting easier as it grows because the outside curve is getting more gentle.

Latest posts

Back