Wood stove experts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubar2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Some thing I've never had a real answer for is the age old question that needs to be pondered and answered. As most know wood stove door gaskets are made into a woven or braided rope which can be reduced in diameter by pulling it tight. On to the question, Is the proper way to replace it? Draw it tight and then glue it in to door or leave it slack and a larger diameter when gluing it? I've done a bunch of em but I've never known what the proper method is. The time has come to find out. Which method do you prefer?

Gaskets are NOT meant to be stretched to fit. Stoves, pumps, engines: engineered for a size to seal. Ain't natural.:jawdrop:

Stove/furnace gaskets fit correctly when the door is mechanically shut to seal and compress. I've always used the high density stove gaskets that last longer and make a better seal. When they're stretched the seal is lost.

Not worth the time to get the wrong size then stretch it. You're spending most of your time cleaning and scraping the grooves anyhow. And, I tape the cut ends with Scotch tape then cut for a tighter fit. Tape burns off.

JMNSHO

Latest posts

Back