Wood stove insert advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArborServe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently got this Nordic wood stove and was planning on installing it in my basement fireplace. The main issue is that it has a 8" flue opening and my fireplace flu is only 6" wide.

Is there a fitting or adapter made to accomplish getting the pipe through the flue without restricting the flow? Code requires me to reline the chimney even though my tiles are in good shape but it will be tight.

If I cannot make this stove work in the basement I can use it out in my shop, I need a better stove out there anyway.

Is this stove worth bothering with? It looks like it is in good condition and it is UL approved.

Ideally your liner should be the same size as your flue opening on the appliance.
Downsizing is not a good idea. You could move this stove to your shop and find one with a 6" flue - most stoves now are 6" - or cut the damper and some firebricks out of your fireplace to fit the 8" liner through - this is common as well.

I have a new insert and it has an 8" opening and came with a 8 to 6" reducer.
I agree you should pipe the size of the opening but in my case it would work either way. I had to put a 6" liner in and it works great.
Yes you can get a reducer. Will it work on your insert?

Getting a new stove for inside is probably best- but costs more... I really did not want to put a reducer on, I was looking for an adapter that would go from the 8" round to an oval keeping the volume the same.

Thanks for the advice.

It isn't always the end of the world to reduce from 8" to 6".

Much of it depends on your draft. There is a calculation out there which takes into account the stack height. And I can't find it right now. From what I remember, the higher the stack, the better the draft so you may be ale to get away with a 8-6 reduction.

Maybe it's worth it to call a certified chimney sweep and do some testing?

Good luck!

just curious.....is your chimney on an outside wall or in the middle of your home?

The chimney is on the outside of the house- tile lined masonry. The fireplace is in the basement and it is almost a straight shot up- just a little dog leg. I would say once in place the chimney will be about 20'. I know there is a calculation for the height of the chimney and the draw but I cannot find it either.

There is a insert like mine on (looks the same and made by Nordic) with a 6"flue. It has the same external measurements though so I wonder what the difference is besides having a stand?

http://jxn.craigslist.org/hsh/1428086111.html

The chimney is on the outside of the house- tile lined masonry. The fireplace is in the basement and it is almost a straight shot up- just a little dog leg. I would say once in place the chimney will be about 20'. I know there is a calculation for the height of the chimney and the draw but I cannot find it either.

There is a insert like mine on (looks the same and made by Nordic) with a 6"flue. It has the same external measurements though so I wonder what the difference is besides having a stand?

http://jxn.craigslist.org/hsh/1428086111.html

thanks.

usually they always recommend a liner install for an outside wall chimney because it doesn't draft as well as one in the middle of the house. (has to do with a 'warm" chimney versus a "cold" chimney)

as long as your chimney is within the 10 foot rule, you should be fine with the draw.

maybe i missed it, but are you going to insulate it?

I was planning on using insulated stainless liners if that is what you mean. Or, are you talking about around the insert? I do have a steel surround that fits on the stove but I was not sure if it was needed.

Thanks for the help!

Back