wood stove question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
avarageerod

avarageerod

ArboristSite Lurker
hi everyone. i just found this forum this morning and am amazed at the insightful information here. i'm new to burning wood and i'm trying to use a "heatalator" my dad built back in the early '80's. i'm looking for a stovetemp thermostat. i've found articles online for them, but the ad's are from the early '80's. can anyone give me a idea where i can find one? here are some links of what i could find

Popular Science - Google Books

CLEANING UP WOOD HEAT FOR 1982-83

Fyrebug

Fyrebug

ArboristSite Guru
hi everyone. i just found this forum this morning and am amazed at the insightful information here. i'm new to burning wood and i'm trying to use a "heatalator" my dad built back in the early '80's. i'm looking for a stovetemp thermostat. i've found articles online for them, but the ad's are from the early '80's. can anyone give me a idea where i can find one? here are some links of what i could find

Stove thermometer can be found at all big box stores, TSC etc... You need a magnetic one for single wall pipe flue and probe type if you use double wall. It will cost you between $8 - $20.

If you use a pre-EPA stove your readings 18" above the stove will be between 450 - 600 F or more.

avarageerod

avarageerod

ArboristSite Lurker
thank you, but i don't need a thermometer, i need a thermostat. i think i'll take some pics and post them.
what i need is more like a automatic damper. all the articles i read from the '80's said it was the best thing since sliced bread, and now no-one knows what i'm talking about

avarageerod

avarageerod

ArboristSite Lurker
ok, i took some pictures of what i have.

here is the wood stove. it is outside beside the chimney

DSCF1956.jpg

under the house is this mess of pipes not hooked up to anything yet. air is blown in on the bottom ducts, goes around the stove, and back out into two 8" ducts that i will connect into two house vents. the center duct is the smoke stack that connects back into the chimney

DSCF1957.jpg

the part i need goes here on the door of the woodstove

DSCF1958.jpg

here is the broken one i removed. it is about 6" in diameter

DSCF1959.jpg

DSCF1961.jpg

DSCF1960.jpg

bbxlr8

bbxlr8

ArboristSite Operative
Had a "heatalator" inside of a BIG masonry fireplace in my last house (built in 86). It was a step up from a FP and drew air around the burn area bottom to top w/powered fan. On/off only. Was good 1/2 step, but good woodstove is the next level. Had that for the last two years and no comparison.

avarageerod

avarageerod

ArboristSite Lurker
Had a "heatalator" inside of a BIG masonry fireplace in my last house (built in 86). It was a step up from a FP and drew air around the burn area bottom to top w/powered fan. On/off only. Was good 1/2 step, but good woodstove is the next level. Had that for the last two years and no comparison.

thats what i have inside, but i've never used it. i just built a mantle to cover the vents and installed gas logs since i have a dual fuel unit, but the logs are expensive to burn

View attachment 208691

View attachment 208687

Last edited:
bbxlr8

bbxlr8

ArboristSite Operative
That's the one. I could get a big room and whole section of the house real toasty (BTW - I pulled the gas right away when I moved in). I had this set up for 10 years and really did like it w/ the wood. Definitely better than a regular fireplace. I now have the stove in basement and two regular fireplaces in the new place. The stove is for heat & FP in family room is for fun.

Highbeam

Highbeam

ArboristSite Guru
For some reason, stoves don't have thermostats anymore. Only two brands make a model or two with this feature and that is blaze king and maybe VC but since VC is no longer a reputable manufacturer, only Blaze King makes a stove with a stat. Blaze kings are usually sold in hardware store type places.

Anyway, that's why nobody knows what you're talking about. Stats are rare.

Sdh1218

Sdh1218

ArboristSite Member

Popular Science - Google Books

CLEANING UP WOOD HEAT FOR 1982-83

Check what the outdoor wood stoves are using. I know thay have auto dampners controlled by the thermostat in the house but you may be able to make one work.

avarageerod

avarageerod

ArboristSite Lurker
just a update
i got my damper to work by soaking it in PB blaster for a couple days. i have since ducted two of my downstairs vents into the stove and wired my fan up. i'm buring right now and am at a comfortable 72 degrees downstairs. i have a little over $250 invested, but this should be a quick payoff if i keep getting free wood

Latest posts