Woodbug Dimensions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mekanizm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Planning on building a WoodBug style mill for personal use.

I believe the endview is approximately 24"x24" but not sure. Anybody know?

Also, what are the dimensions of the angle iron used? It looks to be 1/8" in a couple of different sizes.

Thanks,

Hello I built a woodbug type of mill about 12 years ago. The original is made out of 2"x 3/16? angle, the top where the carriage rides on is 12" and the bottom is approx 2 ft maybe a little more. It was made for a 30 inch bar and the grove for the bar nose is about 1/2".
I used 1 1/2"x 3/16 angle and 28" bar, I used a 038 stihl then a husky 394 and later a 3120 on it. I have some pictures of them somewhere if you need any more info.
Jon

Yukon,

Thanks for the dimensions you provided. This help me out a lot!

VT,

I discovered your pictures earlier from your previous threads and they (you) are what really motivated me to further study this design. I understand that yours is inaccessable at the moment so don't trouble yourself for me just yet:).

Now what I am looking for specifically is:

1) Are all the Angle Irons the same size such as 2x2x1/8"? With this info, I believe I can scale the size of the tubing from your pics.

2) What is the spacing for the verticals? I see where they vary.

I am really excited about this design. I have the capability to fabricate this.

Do you all have any opinion on whether or not a Husky 372XP (72 cc) with a 30 inch bar and a skip tooth chain will work? I would like to have a bigger saw but that is not an option right now and I won't be doing weeks of this just yet (yeah right!).

Interesting how Woodbug recommends regular motor oil. I guess this penetrates into the chain links better?

Here is a pic of the CSM that I just built. The rails were from an overhead rail system for a photography system. I got lucky on this. I haven't tried cutting anything yet. That's coming.

DSC02432.jpg

From 98 to around 04 I built probably 3 or 4 of this type of mill before moving on to a horizontal procut type mill. The basic mill was 10 foot and with a 8 foot extension could cut up to 16ft. I built 2 decks,2 sheds and a shop with the lumber cut with them. I used 10/30 motor oil and never had any issues with heat or chain stretch. As you can see in the pictures I tried different things for measuring dogs a sign post which had 1 inch spacing in the holes and later pipe clamps which allowed for any measurement. The real woodbug had 11/2 square tubing I used 11/4.

Jon

View attachment 163293

View attachment 163298

View attachment 163299

View attachment 163302

Back