Wooden chainsaw parts.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
and one of my latest tables. I bought a pair of the big dawgs from Bailey's and needed a chain roller so I made one.
attachment.php

It's a piece of milo wood. I drilled it out a pounded a rolled steel tube through it. The other piece there is a oil plug for my 61 Rancher I made in a fit of anger when I ordered the wrong cap for the second time. It does work.
attachment.php

attachment.php

This table is one rock hard kiawe slab. The two skinny legs are kiawe and the front one I think is sandalwood. It's extremely fragrant when you work with it.

Beautiful table! It's a work of art. I can see that on antiques road show in about 50 years. Probably be worth a fortune by then.

Clay

Wood is a great material for all sorts of things, I've heard of pistons being made for older engines to get them through. natural materials have a lot of benefits. See how long a leather bicycle pump washer lasts; probably longer than the rest of the bike.

Wood parts on older farm machinery and new stuff too, is common. See alot used for chain tensioners and idlers. Must be good reasons why, cheaper and they do the job! Nice table too :)

Gregg

Great table!!! If I could remember how to post pics, I would post a Stihl chainsaw that I have been carving.

Thanks Mark. I would really like to see that Stihl you are carving. Over in Waikiki there is a Harley replica out of wood. I was just thinking it would be cool to do a chainsaw. I'm sure your's is unreal!

That`s another awesome table, sure is nice wood. Those saw parts are cool also, most of you guy`s probably have seen saws with wooden pull cord handles, I know that I have seen plenty. Some of my buddies call them hillbilly handles but I think they are rather unique, some are carved while others may be a piece of old mop handle etc.
Pioneerguy600

That`s another awesome table, sure is nice wood. Those saw parts are cool also, most of you guy`s probably have seen saws with wooden pull cord handles, I know that I have seen plenty. Some of my buddies call them hillbilly handles but I think they are rather unique, some are carved while others may be a piece of old mop handle etc.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry. Wooden pull cord handles, eh? I hadn't thought of that. Maybe when I have a little scrap of my koa I'll make one. It should be dry next spring.

might be a dumb question but how do you seal wood like that? i have often thought about cutting somthing out like that but i dont know how to process it from there.

might be a dumb question but how do you seal wood like that? i have often thought about cutting somthing out like that but i dont know how to process it from there.

There's no such thing as a dumb question. I used Deft Danish oil which is the same thing I use in my tables. Just brush it on, let it sit for 1/2 hour, and wipe off the excess. Three coats works best for me, with at least a day in between. That will vary depending on where you live.

That was cool...

Great idea on the chain catcher...Clean and great job of it.....The table is awesome too!!!

Wood sed to be used for al kinds of stuff the model t ford through 34 i think
the crate it came in was wood and used for floor boards and a few other things
on the car.And that is one good looking table .

Back