Woodmizer LT15 or Lumbermate 2000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None, as it's the camera angle makes it look like that...

The LM2000 will saw bigger logs than that, as long as you knock the knobs off clean, and the log it straight... I've done it more than a few times, and yes it is extra work that i don't like!

Rob

I agree the de-icing kit is expensive, especially when you figure you could easily make it yourself for super cheap, but I'm not arguing since it didn't cost. I couldn't figure out if this problem is common on this motor why WM doesn't install this feature from the factory on units that will routinely see below freezing temps.

We were half-tempted to swing down to NC to pickup an older WM LT40 on Craig's list: http://eastnc.craigslist.org/tls/988418580.html ...price is right ($5500), hours extremely low (300+), but decided to stick with the LT15 for now.

These were the two mills that I was considering as well, I ordered the LM 2000 with the 13 HP Honda, coming tomorrow, Friday. I am on holidays for the next two weeks, which is apparently how long it's going to take me to set it up. This will be my first milling experience of any variety, and I am looking forward to trying my hand at it. I will start a new thread with the assembly experience and I'm sure a bunch of questions. Sawyer Rob, I hope you're going to be near your computer for the next couple of weekshttp://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif. Congrats on your purchase and I hope all goes well for you.

These were the two mills that I was considering as well, I ordered the LM 2000 with the 13 HP Honda, coming tomorrow, Friday. I am on holidays for the next two weeks, which is apparently how long it's going to take me to set it up. This will be my first milling experience of any variety, and I am looking forward to trying my hand at it. I will start a new thread with the assembly experience and I'm sure a bunch of questions. Sawyer Rob, I hope you're going to be near your computer for the next couple of weekshttp://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif. Congrats on your purchase and I hope all goes well for you.

If you post over on Norwoods chat room, there is all kinds of help over there. I sometimnes don't get here, but i do check the Norwood form nearly every day...

SR

Lt if advice

Swanny- I have an older LT15, free advice is to set your mill up on 6X6 cants, across the mill bed, like railroad ties are under the track. That way if you bump the mill a little with the loader, it doesn't fall off the blocks. You will gradually learn the art, some things that have helped are Bruce Hoadly's book, title escapes me now, but it has a lot of info. Also the site Woodweb is one of the best for general woodworking questions, and they have a free sawyer locating feature, which you can advertise on for free. Another great buy is the harbor freight hand held metal detector, for around $25, trust me, you will find metal. Another time saving discovery is that the cheap plug cutting drill bits that HF sells are the easiest way of removing the nails that the blade occasionally finds, you just take your rechargeable drill, drill around the nail or bullet, take a screwdriver and pop it right out . Oh, another discovery is that blue stained wood has metal in it somewhere, and if you smell something stinky when cutting a log, it, too has metal in it! In time you will learn other tricks of the trade, too, including black powder log splitting, and how to cut one board while edging another simultaneously! Keep learning, and don't saw your dogs off!

Back