woodpile Illinois style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeslayer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
check this little pile out.
attachment.php

See what happens when a guy upgrades to a Super-Splitter and a conveyor.:hmm3grin2orange:

:chainsawguy:

I too am curious as to where that is located. That is a big operation and I want to find out what brand of equipment they are running.

As for piles like that, we tried those back in NY in the 1970s and my brother recently tried them again a few times. The problem is mold and wet. The wood in the middle gets moldy and that freaks people out. My brother now has gone back to straight stacking with 18" of air between the piles. He has seen plenty of his customers have the moldy wood from his competitors and they are not happy about it.

I too am curious as to where that is located. That is a big operation and I want to find out what brand of equipment they are running.

As for piles like that, we tried those back in NY in the 1970s and my brother recently tried them again a few times. The problem is mold and wet. The wood in the middle gets moldy and that freaks people out. My brother now has gone back to straight stacking with 18" of air between the piles. He has seen plenty of his customers have the moldy wood from his competitors and they are not happy about it.
Very good analysis, Curly. That stack had better not remain there very long or that wood is going to rot. Illinois gets a bunch of rainfall also--about a foot more than Nebraska per year.

Let's hope they sell it to some cold Illini who want to heat with wood. There's enough there to heat a small town.

I also see piles like that in northern illinois, maybe not that big but the same style nonetheless. Around here they lean two pallets pyramid style down a row in the middle to allow air to move throughout the pile.

I stack like that and have found the wood stays real nice for years. Never seen mold yet on the wood in the middle. But my pile is way out in the open air and get lots of wind all year long. Also I've belt my stack slowly so the wood has had time dry.

Back