Woodpile pics plus a little tractor pr0n

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thought I'd share the results of all my cutting this winter, now that we're coming to the end of what I consider firewood season. In case anyone missed some of my other threads, I cut with my father; the land I'm cutting on is family farmland, and I now live in the farmhouse. I'm on about 145 acres, and the woodpile below is the result of just 3 fence lines (i.e. not even an entire field's worth) plus a bunch of dead standing trees, plus a bunch of dead fall we cleaned. Weapons of choice were my 372xp, 290 and an 8 lb maul. My father has a 260, and a Chevy 1500 for any over-the-road hauling. For around the farm we have a new Branson 3820i and a converted manure spreader for a wagon.

Anywho, here's a pic I snagged today after splitting and hauling about a cord-

P1020361.JPG

The tractor gives some scale. I tell people Phil Spector had his "wall of sound" and I have a wall of wood.

P1020355.JPG

P1020356.JPG

I think we're figuring on somewhere around 20 cords, plus what I cut and burned this year, since it was the first year was in the house and burned wood. We've also got about 3 - 5 more cords to pick up, some of which needs to be split. Luckily almost everything that's left is white ash and is actually fun to split.

And I took a couple videos of the tractor going through some soupy spots on a newly rebuilt road to the back 40. With the amazing popularity of the R-4 tires, we got a lot of strange looks when we insisted on ag tires for the Branson. We need them for stuff like this. Keep in mind the tires aren't loaded yet, but will be soon.

[youtube_browser]33vc-Dj499A[/youtube_browser]

That was riding up on the wagon... this was coming back with a half load of maple, on the way to pick up some ash.

[youtube_browser]zP_jrScM_Wk[/youtube_browser]

Ok, so not the most exciting stuff in the world, but I thought there might be some tractor heads out there on AS that would like it :)

Happy cutting

Nice wood pile

That sure is a lot of wood, did you really cut all that this last winter:dizzy: How many HP is that tractor , it seems that you have a nice trail system to get thru the woods.:clap: Good job on the wood but you no your never done, just like somebody else said once the wood chips are in your blood theres no stopping.

Beefie

That sure is a lot of wood, did you really cut all that this last winter:dizzy: How many HP is that tractor , it seems that you have a nice trail system to get thru the woods.:clap: Good job on the wood but you no your never done, just like somebody else said once the wood chips are in your blood theres no stopping.

Beefie

Tractor is rated for 38 hp, although the PTO dyno'ed at 43. Good heavy tractor, even without the tires loaded. There is a good system of tractor roads and bar ways on the land, but all of them are grown in. We'll be working on opening more up this summer, plus a lot of bush hog work. Just an unbelievable amount of wood on the land...

Nice!

Real scenic country, I love taking Sunday drives up through Woodstock / Dresser Hill / your area.

Yeah, it's a nice area. I'm right off of Rte. 31, and I actually grew up in Woodstock. After going to college in Worcester, I sure do feel lucky to be back in a place I have room to stretch out.

Great wood pile! Now, that tractor isn't't green, so I don't know if i'd post pictures here. I would be embarrassed! All I can say is I will pick up and use for a year to see if it is worthy of posting here!

You Suck, I'm Jealous!

Bruce

Great wood pile! Now, that tractor isn't't green, so I don't know if i'd post pictures here. I would be embarrassed! All I can say is I will pick up and use for a year to see if it is worthy of posting here!

You Suck, I'm Jealous!

Bruce

:)

Well, if it's any sort of consolation, there used to be a JD 60 here, but it was sold before my time.

The brands of tractor that have worked this land have all followed the "cheap, used, but quality" trend, and have included the following brands-

Farmall/IH
Case
Massey Harris
Massey Ferguson
Oliver
Cockshutt
John Deere
Branson

Of which we still have the Farmall (Super C), the Case (SC) the Massey Harris (101 junior) and the MF (65). And the Branson, obviously.

Back